COLUMN: Racial profiling tactics shortchange our universities

A college education is coveted, not just by Americans but also by citizens of nearly every country. When we graduate from college, we join a minority of people in this world with a higher education. The United States has been an extremely popular destination for international students to come and study. But in the past few years, new regulations on student visas have helped drive down the numbers seeking their education in the United States.

Not surprisingly, the reduction of students applying and studying coincides with Sept. 11, 2001. After the attacks on the East Coast, our government has tightened the student visa application process. One of the reasons for this is one of the attackers held a student visa.

Coincidentally, the number of students from the Middle East and Islamic nations such as Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and the United Arab Emirates also fell sharply. According to the Institute of International Education, the total number of students from the Middle East fell from 38,545 in 2002 to 34,803 in 2003. From the fall semester of 2002 to the fall semester of 2003, the number of students from Middle Eastern countries dropped 10 percent. Saudi Arabia and Kuwait dropped 25 percent in their number of students studying in the United States.

The total number of international students studying in the United States continues to grow, albeit by a smaller margin. The number of Middle Eastern students dropped because of an immoral and unjustified policy of racial profiling. Difficulty getting visas and the rising costs of higher education are driving away students from all over the world, but especially from the Middle East.

These aren’t the only reasons for the reduction. When here in the United States, only students from certain Middle Eastern countries need to report changes in address and report what their field of study is, both factors that may impact the status of their student visas.

This is a clear case of racial profiling against students from Arab countries. According to the Office for Institutional Research 2003/2004 Fact Book, in 2001 international students made up nearly 5 percent of the total student body population at Iowa State.

In 2002, international student enrollment dropped by 78 students, and in 2003, the total international student enrollment dropped 182 students in one year. International students now make up less than 4 percent in post-Sept. 11 America.

This is disturbing for several reasons: First of all, racial profiling is wrong in and of itself and immoral to act upon. A clear case of racial profiling exits in our government’s immigration department.

Second, important to those in the business of education, international students bring in more than $12 billion annually. Paying their tuition, living expenses, these students make up a large portion of what the Department of Commerce describes as the fifth largest service sector export: U.S. higher education. According to the Open Doors report published by Institute of International Education, nearly 75 percent of this money is coming from outside the country.

A third reason is international students’ contribution to academics and research. Many international students, including those at Iowa State, contribute to the research aspect of their education and help earn grants that help our university continue its strong academic tradition. If we lose this international aspect, we are losing a vital portion of university.

And finally, our university’s commitment to diversity is a worthwhile commitment. We are suffering as a university in general student atmosphere when we lack diversity on campus. International students bring so much more than their academics and money; they bring their language, their culture and their differing opinions and experiences. All these characteristics add a whole new dimension to our university, one that we are risking losing.

To avoid losing this important and diverse dimension to our university, we need to speak out against racial profiling. Laws passed after Sept. 11 such as the Patriot Act are helping turn away international students in great numbers.

These laws, by encouraging racial profiling and making ordinary students into a security threat, are driving away some of the best and brightest students from studying in the United States. Laws meant to protect us are instead not protecting us at all.

The state of Iowa is well know for a strong academic tradition from grade school all the way to our fine institutions of higher learning. Let us not lose our tradition of strong of academics and our commitment to diversity because of an immoral and unjustified policy of racial profiling.