Summer brings relaxed feelings to Ames

Christa Rogers

For some students, school can seem like an endless cycle.

After enduring classes all year, some students use the summer as a rent-free break to relax; however, more and more students are choosing to live year-round in Ames.

Some students choose to take classes during the summer to help lighten their load during the fall and spring semesters.

Devon Chebuhar, senior in business, said she prefers the smaller summer classes.

“The instructors are more concerned with individuals than during the regular semesters,” Chebuhar said.

Chris Hager, senior in psychology, disagreed.

“Don’t take classes in the summer, or you won’t have time for anything else,” Hager said.

Even though many students will be taking classes, there are still things they enjoy doing during the warm summer months.

“Summer is relaxing,” said Hager. “You get to do your own thing, and there’s not a whole lot of people around. And you get to be away from your parents.”

Shelly Natvig, senior in elementary education, agreed.

“There are less people around, and there aren’t any lines at the bars,” Natvig said.

Although some ISU students appreciate the lower population of Ames during the summer, there are still things they dislike.

“There’s nothing to do here,” said Natvig. “Although Des Moines is close.”

Des Moines offers many activities, but the Ames area has many of its own attractions during the summer.

The Workspace in the Memorial Union offers a variety of art classes during the summer, including ceramics and digital photography.

The Octagon Center for the Arts, 427 Douglas Ave., also offers a wide range of classes, including nude sculpting and adult hip-hop dancing.

Reiman Gardens is open throughout the summer and is free to ISU students.

The Downtown Farmers’ Market is open Mondays and, aside from offering a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, there is also music and crafts.

Ledges State Park outside of Boone is a good place to hike, have picnics and roam through the Iowa wilderness.