Running Wild

Jess Jochims

Editor’s note: This is the first in a series of two stories reviewing the highs and lows of the 2004 men’s and women’s outdoor track and field season.

The ISU men’s and women’s track and field teams had many superb individual performances this season.

The women sprinters got the season off to a quick start. Two women sprinters reached the NCAA Indoor Championships — Sheba Clarke in the 60-meter dash and Ada Anderson in the 800-meter run. Clarke’s senior year performance led to her becoming an indoor All-American.

The outdoor season also had some highs for the women runners. Jessica Huff (1,500-meter run) and Rebecca Williams (100-meter hurdles) made the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

Women’s head coach Dick Lee said he was extremely satisfied with those two performers.

“Rebecca [Williams] improved so much in the hurdles and breaking the school record,” Lee said. “Jess [Huff] winning the Drake Relays title was great. The three that made the indoor/outdoor nationals would have to be the highlight of the season.”

Men’s head coach Steve Lynn said that, as a whole, his team definitely showed improvement from last season.

“I think the guys are excited for next year already,” Lynn said. “It was a long season, but they handled it well. We were better at the end of the year than what we were at the first of the year. There are some teams that can’t say that.”

Lynn said the biggest surprise on the team would have to be Neil Hines in the decathlon.

“He was a pole vaulter last year and broke his arm,” Lynn said. “We weren’t planning on much from him, and he placed in the conference meet in both the indoor and outdoor Big 12 Championships.”

Men’s sprints

Working with the sprinters in practice, Lynn recognized their skills throughout the year.

“We ran the fastest in the 4×4 than we have run for quite a few years,” Lynn said. “[Jared] Graham, [Ryan] Boyington, [Elijah] Braimah and [Jerod] Torrey all ran 46 [seconds] this year. They just really competed well and went after people every time they stepped out on the track. Graham has established himself as one of the better 400-meter runners around.”

Lynn said there were two big surprises on the sprint team.

“Justin Sherman (400-meter hurdles) was a lot better. [He] made big improvements from a year before. He came from running decent last year to be a solid runner this year. He placed in the conference meet and went to regionals. That’s pretty solid,” Lynn said. “It was also good to get Dan Zelik back to the level he was before.”

Lynn said the team will miss the leadership of two seniors — Boyington and Torrey.

“Both of those two helped lay the groundwork to help us do some things later on,” Lynn said.

“Their leadership, everyday work in practice and obviously doing the things at meets will truly be missed. They pushed every interval in practice, and now someone else has to step up and do that. It’s a pass-down thing, and I think it could fall on Graham, Sherman and Braimah.”

Torrey said the sprinters didn’t quite meet their expectations, but achieved a lot of personal bests.

“The highlight has to be when me and Ryan qualified for regionals [in the 1,600-meter relay] for the second time in a row,” Torrey said.

Torrey believes that the sprinters will be very good next year.

“There is a lot of young talent on the team that participated a lot, competed in big meets and competed well for us,” Torrey said. “Jared Graham, Elijah and Justin Sherman all made the regionals and should come back strong. Neil Hines had a great year as his first year as a decathlete. Also, Andy Hadden is coming back off a redshirt year and should come back, compete and contribute.”

Women’s sprints

Sprints, hurdles and multi-events coach Scott Roberts said he had a young group of athletes with only one senior — Clarke.

“Sheba was an All-American in the indoors. I was so happy to see her get that in her last go-around. She did a nice job of leading by example,” Roberts said. “As far as the rest of them go, it was all freshmen and sophomores doing all the scoring — Ada Anderson is a sophomore, Rebecca Williams is also a sophomore, and Sara Boisen is a freshman. Those three and Sheba did an outstanding job.”

Roberts is excited about the future of the three competitors.

“Rebecca is better in the 100 hurdles, but we are getting her start worked out, and I expect big things from her next year,” Roberts said. “I would like to see Ada get consistent in the 2:06 range and maybe run some faster times than that. I really believe she can do that.”

Roberts said he is impressed with Boisen’s development and her potential for improvement.

“Sara Boisen qualified for the regional meet and placed at the conference meet as a true freshman, which I thought was outstanding,” Roberts said. “She dropped her personal-best time by about two seconds, [but] she is nowhere near her potential.”

Williams said she is excited for next season.

“Coach Roberts sends out a summer workout and a weight-training program,” Williams said.

“I plan to gain a few pounds and get stronger in the hurdles. I might take a few weeks off and then get back to my normal practices.”

Williams thinks that she and the others will have a good season next year.

“I can honestly see myself doing very well,” Williams said. “We were young and learning about our events. We will apply that learning to next year so we can see a lot of things improve.”

Besides the four sprint standouts, Roberts said he expects a strong future from athletes who were injured this season.

“Right before Jo Legg got injured with a stress fracture, she got a [personal record] in the 400 hurdles. I think that she will come back strong,” Roberts said.

“Ardith Johnson, in the short hurdles, had her season cut short by injuries as well. So once we are all healthy, I think that there are several kids that are going to make a lot of progress for next year.”

Women’s distance

Lee, who works with the distance runners and coaches cross country, said his group had a hit-and-miss season.

“We had some outstanding things happen,” Lee said. “Jessica in the 1,500 got qualified for nationals. Ada and Jenny [Mockler] in the 800 just had solid seasons. Both scored at the conference meet, made regionals and got experience.”

Lee said the rest of the group was just young and he expects more in the years to come.

“Some ran a personal best, but compared to the level of competition in the conference it just wasn’t enough to score at conference,” Lee said.

“Karen McCormick (a senior) really improved over the course of her four years. She is one that if she would have been at the level as a freshman that she was when she graduated, then you would be looking at her being a point scorer and possibly making it to nationals. But it took her four years to get to that point.”

Men’s distance

Corey Ihmels saw his distance runners improve throughout the year. The cross country and distance coach said training has gotten better, and it might take a year or two to reap the benefits on the track.

“I was disappointed that no one qualified for regionals,” Ihmels said. “Dan Taylor was close in the 1,500 but just missed out. It really hurt not having Craig Cartier in the outdoor season.”

Cartier came down with mononucleosis at the end of the indoor season and was unable to compete outdoors.

Ihmels also saw a lot of improvement from Taylor and Corey Ylinen.

“Taylor was our main positive in the season. He stood out in practice and meets and led by example,” Ihmels said. “Corey Ylinen had a good year and made improvements. He got a lot better.”

Ihmels was impressed with the performance of the two steeplechase runners on the team — Kyle Rasmussen and Ryan French.

“Rasmussen did a great job since he redshirted last season. He just kept improving. Last year he ran sporadically, and he came on. He will score in the conference,” Ihmels said.

“Ryan French came in as a transfer and did a pretty good job of making improvements. I think that he will help us on the cross country course next year.”

Ihmels said that departing seniors Chris Francois and Dan Wiltgen will both be missed.

“Chris did a good job in the cross country and indoor seasons. He kind of struggled outdoors,” Ihmels said. “We will miss his competitiveness. He just went out there and gave it heck every day. He always put on the line in the races.”

Ihmels said that Wiltgen’s personality will be missed.

“We will miss Dan’s work ethic,” Ihmels said. “He came to practice and hung around the guys every day. His enthusiasm for track, life and being a positive person will truly be missed.”