Cyclone golf team lands Canadian student

Matt Carlson

The ISU women’s golf team has reeled in one of the top Canadian golfers to play for the Cyclones next season.

Karly Pinder from Exeter, Ontario, announced her decision to attend Iowa State to head coach Julie Manning on April 15.

Cyclones head coach Julie Manning said the addition of Pinder not only brings an outstanding talent, but also will complement the team chemistry very well.

“I think she has a special energy about her, and her joining the other players coming back will form a nice team,” Manning said. “I am really looking forward to having her on campus.”

Karly Pinder, who graduated from St. Anne’s High School at semester, had a very busy and successful junior season. She placed fourth at the 2003 Ontario Girls Championship and fifth at the 2003 Canadian Junior Girls National Championship.

She also held a 1.9 handicap, earning a spot on the 2003 Ontario Provincial Golf team that finished first at the Canadian Junior Girls National Championship.

“We ended up winning by one shot,” Pinder said.

“It was a good experience and was really fun playing. It was also my first team experience.”

She said high school golf in Canada and the United States differ, so she wasn’t used to competing on a team.

“Our high schools aren’t as team competitive as the States,” she said. “Ours are more individual.”

Along with Iowa State, she was looking into attending North Carolina-Wilmington, Memphis, Toledo and North Carolina-Greensboro. However, she enjoyed her visit here last November and was intrigued by the campus and the golf team.

“It was very welcoming and comfortable,” she said.

“I met with the team and liked the combination of the coaches and players. Coach Manning and coach [Fiona] Watson were really great.”

Though she currently is not playing on any team, she is actively practicing and getting ready for college competition. She hopes to travel and compete with the Cyclones in the fall.

“I just want to make an impact,” she said. “I am very excited, and it should be a lot of fun.”