COLUMN: Student body urgently needs a leader

In response to Sunday morning’s riot, student leaders Omar Tesdell and Dan Fulton organized the “We Are Veishea” rally to affirm the student body’s commitment to responsible citizenship and opposition to the senseless vandalism in Campustown.

Hats off to the organizers and speakers — Ames needs to know that the actions of a few vandals don’t speak for the entire university. Unfortunately though, Government of the Student Body President and and speaker Sophia Magill chose not to address allegations of police misconduct and brutality.

We must applaud her good effort to combat the unfortunate stereotyping of ISU students. However, we must question her decision to not even express concern about the police brutality and misconduct alleged by countless students. Whose team is she on? We know that Magill, junior in political science, sits on the Veishea board and will receive a full scholarship for serving as GSB president.

She sits in a tough spot, and her actions in response to the riot will affect her political career, Ames/ISU relations, and the well-being of ISU students — who are ultimately her only constituency and collective boss.

Magill’s short speech helped her political career and hopefully eased tension between non-student Ames residents and the university, but it did nothing to stand up for the many ISU students who were (allegedly) wronged on Sunday morning. Taking a stance on the issue could potentially jeopardize Magill’s political career and connection to the big money-maker we know as Veishea.

However, if she chooses to ignore widespread claims of police misconduct perpetrated against ISU students, Magill will utterly fail in her position as leader of the student body.

That said, Magill deserves the benefit of the doubt. Using the “We are Veishea” rally would not have been the appropriate forum to seriously and genuinely address the concerns many students have regarding law enforcement’s reaction Sunday morning.

She did an excellent job protecting the image of Iowa State, and now it’s time for her to use her influence and love for the student body to make sure an investigation is launched into alleged police misconduct during the riot. This requires no statement of position other than that of ISU students being important members of the Ames community, and that we must be heard.

This is the greatest expression of GSB president and one Magill cannot afford to abandon. We, the student body, are counting on her to stand with us in this time of uncertainty.

Sophia, you sit in a unique position. You have the opportunity to use the riot as a stepping stone for a long overdue dialogue with the Ames community at large. The love-hate relationship between Ames and Iowa State must be addressed. We can ignore it no longer. This is your great opportunity as GSB president. In these historic days, the state of Ames/ISU relations can be improved for the benefit of all.

We all call Ames our home for (at least) the majority of the year. Opposing each other is mutually destructive. Sophia, this is your opportunity to direct Iowa State toward a brighter future where student and non-student residents live happily together, in understanding and acceptance of our personal differences.

This achievable state cannot come without legitimate and humble student representation. Sophia, you’ve shown your ability to protect Iowa State’s image. Thank you for that. Without such protection in the past, current ISU students wouldn’t be so well off.

So I thank you for your humble, honest, and skilled outreach at Monday’s rally.

However, much is left to be done. It’s a difficult time, I know. Be sure that we are all in this together. Albeit with hesitance, the students stand behind you.

As our voice, we need you to bridge gaps to articulate our position. We need you to stand up for us. Many of us feel we were wronged on Sunday morning, and we ask you to stand behind us in opposition to police brutality. Will you hang us out to dry? Will we be ignored? At this sensitive time we need a leader. Will you rise to this call? We are waiting.