Students weigh in on college merger

Alicia Ebaugh

Ten students participated in Monday’s open forum to discuss the pending merger between the College of Education and the College of Family and Consumer Sciences, a turnout which disappointed university officials.

The two other recent forums , which were geared mainly for alumni and faculty and staff of the two colleges, had about 55-60 people present.

“I had hoped more students would come and give input, but I know it’s a busy and difficult time of year for students,” said Susan Carlson, associate provost and committee facilitator. “This was only the first of many chances for students to participate in the process.”

The forum, held especially to hear student concerns, was sponsored by the Planning Committee on the Combination of the College of Education and the College of Family and Consumer Sciences.

Most of the students at the forum were cautious in their support for a college merger.

Kellie McAndrews, junior in child, adult and family services, questioned if the particular departments from each college would stay the same if a merger took place.

“I enjoy my classes the way they are now; I enjoy my professors,” she said. “It could be damaging if this merger were to affect the structure of the departments. Will the faculty remain the same? If we’re having education faculty teaching [family and consumer sciences] courses, the quality of our coursework may change.”

Thomas Andre, professor and chairman of curriculum and instruction and committee member, said all departments would stay the same for the short term, but in the long term, they may change.

“Every department changes over time,” he said. “The majors themselves won’t change, but the core curriculum for each program may be affected if the programs are combined.”

Another challenge students said they would face if the colleges are combined is the formation of a new identity that preserves the unique aspects of the separate colleges.

“Family and consumer sciences have always kind of struggled with identity,” said Mary Linnenbrink, senior in family and consumer sciences education. “They’ve had to change their name from home economics; now the college is facing another name change. We need to be able to attract students; we need to have the pull associated with the name.”

An international student who attended the forum said the future of her education is connected with identification of a program as “family and consumer sciences.”

Enas Sarour, graduate student in family and consumer sciences education and studies, is from Saudi Arabia. She said her country’s government is paying for her entire education simply because she is working on a doctorate in family and consumer sciences.

“My government really wants family and consumer sciences educators,” she said. “They have many people with education degrees, but no one with this expertise. Without the family and consumer sciences distinction, I would not be receiving this help.”

Linnenbrink said something good could come out of a college merger if everyone involved looked at it from a different angle.

“We have all been focusing on the negative instead of the positive,” she said. “Right now, it’s mainly seen as a way to save money. But if we looked at it as being able to build on our strengths together, that would be a lot better.”

McAndrews said the main challenge the university would have in merging the colleges is gaining the acceptance of students and faculty.

“I don’t see a college combination saving money,” she said.

“But if the professors are the same, and the prestige is the same, I would be comfortable [with a merger].”