Administration puts controversial Ames High play on hold

Ryan M. Melton

A student-directed play at Ames High School featuring homosexual themes has been put on hold by the school’s administration.

William Woods, 17, who is the director for and actor in the play, “Pillow Talk,” along with fellow actors Evan Hudson, 15, and David Prater, 17, says the play has been put on hold, and rehearsals for the play are currently not allowed within the school.

Woods, senior at Ames High, says the play revolves around a field trip and two heterosexual males. While on the trip, Woods says the two male characters have to stay at the home of one of the characters’ grandmother, and have to share the one remaining bed available. While laying in bed, Woods says the two characters begin talking about homosexuality, and hug each other before they go to sleep.

Woods says the administration is currently debating whether the play should go on, but as of now, has said the play is not going to happen.

“We’re not to do it,” Woods says. “The administration says it was inappropriate, and says we weren’t to do the play.”

Woods says one specific member of the Ames High administration, associate principal Michael Avise, has led the censorship of the play.

“Dr. Avise has been in charge of this censorship.” Woods says. “He reviews posters, public events and plays for appropriateness.”

Avise declined comment.

Both Ames High principal Michael McGrory and drama department head Al Jerdee had no comment.

Woods says the play has been halted because of its sexual overtones, despite his promises he would revise the play.

“I said many times that I would make the changes to the play, such as taking out expletives, but they say they think two heterosexual men in a bed is too much of a sexual innuendo,” Woods says.

Woods says many students are upset by the actions of the administration.

“Many students are quite angry at the administration for the ban, because many have read it and they thought it was fine and quite hilarious,” Woods says. “Most of the drama-involved students, I’d say 90 percent, are angry.”

The administration’s current deliberations are supposed to result in a final decision on the matter by the end of the week, Woods says.

Woods says the actions taken to halt the play are discriminatory.

“I feel the administration is overstepping their bounds, and not letting us explain issues that are relevant to today’s political landscape and our lives,” Woods says. “I just don’t feel like homosexuality should be censored, because it is an important part of our lives.”

If the final decision of the administration is to stop the play from happening, Woods says he has other options available to him.

“I will definitely try to organize a petition, and protest and if all else fails, I will put on the play somewhere else, or change my choice of play, but I would not be very happy about that,” Woods says.