Students can learn from Iowa farms through Extension

Jeanne Chapin

Students going into corn or soybean farming will have access to information from around the state to help them learn to be better farmers.

The ISU Corn-Soybean Initiative will gather information from around the state about how to maximize the production of corn and soybeans, an effort that will benefit Iowa’s economy, said Greg Tylka, professor of plant pathology.

Linking ISU research and extension to Iowa corn and soybean producers will have positive effects for tomorrow’s farmers, said Donald Lewis, professor of entomology.

“ISU students who have a career in corn and soybean production in Iowa will certainly benefit once they’re out in the real world,” he said.

The Initiative, a combined effort between the College of Agriculture and ISU Extension, has not yet been publicly launched, but is in the organization and information-gathering stage, Tylka said.

“The essence of the ISU Corn-Soybean Initiative is to coordinate current, ongoing research and extension activities relating to corn and soybean production at Iowa State University,” he said.

Information on campus will be combined with information gathered from ISU Extension staff throughout Iowa to form a complete and coordinated system of farming information, Tylka said.

“ISU Extension is a statewide network for providing education, information and science-based information to farmers,” said Brian Meyer, director of college relations for the College of Agriculture.

“Every county has an extension of ISU staff. They work with corn producers and soybean producers to help solve their problems. It’s one way that we can better serve Iowa’s corn and soybean growers and other business companies that are related to this huge effort in Iowa of growing crops for different markets.”

The program will give farmers access to information on how to increase crop yields, as well as the ability to provide feedback if there isn’t enough information.

Information will be supplied through a number of sources, such as the Internet, radio and news publications and field demonstrations, Tylka said.

Lewis said the program will benefit the state because corn and soybean production is immensely important to Iowa’s economy and the livelihood of Iowa farmers.

“The direct sales of corn and soybeans account for more

than $5.5 billion coming into the Iowa economy annually,” Tylka said.

“These funds ‘feed’ the economy of the state through support of the thousands of jobs in businesses and industries throughout Iowa that serve the corn and soybean farmers.”

Making a profit for farmers is difficult for a number of reasons, Tylka said. Corn and soybean varieties have to be selected for their best yields; nutrient levels in the soil have to be high enough to support the yield and damage by weeds, disease and insects has to be managed.

He said land must be meticulously cared for to maintain a fertile growing environment. There are also costs for land, labor, equipment, materials and supplies.

Finally, current market prices have to be accounted for in making a profit, Tylka said.

“Two direct, short-term ways to increase overall profitability of corn and soybean farming operations are to increase the corn and soybean yields without drastically increasing the cost of production and to maintain high yields while decreasing the cost of producing the crops,” Tylka said.

“The ISU Corn-Soybean Initiative is aimed at helping Iowa corn and soybean growers do those two things.”