Three faculty members earn university professorships

Kate Lewellen

Three faculty members were recently promoted to the rank of university professor.

The title of University Professor is bestowed on a senior faculty member who has demonstrated outstanding performance in teaching, research or professional service; who has acted to improve the quality of the university’s land-grant mission and who is an outstanding university citizen. The university professor receives a $2,500 addition to the base salary, as well as the title of University Professor. The title is relinquished only if a person is subsequently named distinguished professor or to an endowed chair.

The newly recognized university professors are:

Brenda Daly, university professor of English

Daly said she believes being a university professor requires excellence in three areas: publications, teaching and service. Most of her work focuses on the issue of diversity in scholarship and teaching, she said.

“It’s my greatest pride and my greatest puzzle,” she said.

Daly is the editor of the National Women’s Studies Association Journal and is also working on three books.

One of the books is called “Deep Learning,” which is about how she continues to learn from teaching her students. One of the chapters in the book is titled “Taking Whiteness Personally,” in which Daly will explore her cultural and racial experience as a Caucasian.

“Working on the Women’s Studies journal has kept me from my own scholarship quite a bit this year, but it’s been a very exciting experience which I have enjoyed a great deal,” Daly said.

Larry Ebbers, university professor of higher education

Ebbers started at Iowa State in the Department of Residence and moved to the College of Education in 1972.

“I’ve been here 39 years, so it’s a very distinguished honor,” he said. “I’ve been here ever since.”

Ebbers said most of his research focuses on mid- to upper-level management positions in community colleges. He also studies the career patterns of outstanding community college leaders. He initiated the Leadership Institute for a New Century, which prepares women and minorities for leadership positions in community colleges.

He also initiated the Community College Leadership Initiative Consortium, which provides leadership development for mid- to upper-level community college administrators. He is also a member of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.

George Kraus, university professor of chemistry

Kraus has been at Iowa State since 1976.

His research interests include organic synthesis, bioagricultural chemistry and toxicology.

“I am interested in biology, agriculture, and chemistry collaborations,” he said. “I am working on bioeconomy initiatives.”

Kraus said he likes to see collaboration among departments on campus.

He is the director of Biorenewable Resources Consortium and the Institute of Physical Research Technology.

He was also the chemistry department chair from 1993-99.