Local businesses want Veishea to return

Aaron Ladage

Plywood still barricades the windows of several Welch Avenue businesses, but Campustown merchants have mixed reactions to ISU President Gregory Geoffroy’s decision to suspend next year’s Veishea festivities.

Following the April 18 riot, many businesses on Welch Avenue and the surrounding streets were left with thousands of dollars’ worth of damage to windows and storefronts. However, some business owners say they are disappointed with Geoffroy’s decision to place Iowa State’s 82-year-old tradition on hold.

“When I pulled up [to Copyworks] that morning of the riots, my heart just sunk,” said John Crawford, general manager of Copyworks, 105 Welch Ave. “Then the decision came today, and I’d have to say that my heart dropped even further.”

Crawford said it cost about $2,000 to replace one double-paned window. Although he says Veishea sales for his store are comparable to most home football game weekends, he is still troubled by the actions of rioters.

“I’m disappointed. I feel sorry for the rest of the student body who does know how to behave,” Crawford said. “It’s not so much the size of the crowd as it is how the crowd reacted, for whatever reason.”

Rich Parizek, manager of the Keg Shop, 218 Welch Ave., said business during Veishea is similar to Copyworks’. He said the store did more business before the celebration went dry.

Other late-night businesses said the loss of profits will be noticeable. Chad Soppe, manager of Cy’s Roost, 121 Welch Ave., said the bar typically sees a 50 percent increase in sales during the Friday and Saturday nights of Veishea. “Obviously, we’re going to lose business because of it,” Soppe said.

David Maahs, executive director of Ames Chamber of Commerce, said Ames will lose approximately $1.3 million in revenue from visitors who come for the Veishea parade and other activities. Despite the loss, Maahs said the chamber supports the suspension.

“We’re supportive of President Geoffroy and his decision,” he said. “We would like to work with him and help in any way we can to bring the celebration back, but we need to do what is best for the university.”

Sandy Guenther, restaurant general manager at Taco Bell, 2650 Lincoln Way — which has five broken windows that will cost about $6,000 to repair — said she sees the suspension as a way for Veishea to return to its roots.

“I’m not saying [Veishea’s suspension is] a good thing, but it might put a stop to [the riots], if it has been a problem in the past,” Guenther said. “As I understand it, Veishea started as a way for high school students to see the university. But it doesn’t seem like that’s what Veishea was about this year.”

Brian Deets, assistant general manager of People’s Bar & Grill, 2428 Lincoln Way, said he also sees problems among students, administrators and city officials. Deets said his business sees a spike in sales during Veishea weekend of between $10,000 and $20,000, compared to normal weekend sales of about $4,000 to $8,000.

“I would like it to be back in two years, but I don’t foresee it unless the City of Ames and the university start working with students to make Veishea and student involvement better,” Deets said. “Everything that happened up to the riots should’ve been handled differently, going as far back as how the university and Ames Police have handled student relations over the last three to four years. They have alienated the students’ involvement in the goings on, and that leads to a lack of student respect.”

— Alicia Ebaugh contributed to this article.