Engineering candidate wants entrepreneurship

Dan Nguyen

Changes and emerging trends in engineering will require engineering schools to diversify and broaden their perspectives, a dean candidate for the College of Engineering said Tuesday.

Mark Kushner is currently a professor of electrical and computer engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, but he has taken on other roles, including interim head of chemical and biomolecular engineering and assistant dean of academic programs at the College of Engineering at the University of Illinois.

“If we were starting with an empty field and a shovel, how would you build a college of engineering at Iowa State?” Kushner asked a crowd of more than 40 at the open forum in Howe Hall. “How would you reinvent it to become as broadly appealing as possible?”

Kushner began his presentation with how engineering was becoming integrated into society. For instance, he said, faculty members are now expected to focus not just on research, but on outreach as well.

“Colleges of engineering are expected to be organizations which implement social as well as technical change,” he said.

Kushner said he believes students are now interested in a more flexible curriculum and want “more opportunities to define their own course of study.”

To that end, he proposed the undergraduate program allow for 20-30 credits of electives for students to broaden their education. The flexibility, Kushner said, would be especially beneficial for students who wanted to branch out to entrepreneurship or technical fields, such as medicine.

Kushner pointed out that engineering colleges “are now viewed as engines for economic growth.”

At the University of Illinois, he said he saw that “opportunities for entrepreneurship are key factors in faculty recruitment and retention, and that students are expected to receive opportunities in entrepreneurship.”

He said, as dean, he would increase collaborative efforts with local resources such as the Ames Lab and Pappajohn Center, so there would be more unique research opportunities for students and faculty.

The College of Engineering’s drop in the latest U.S. News and World Report rankings was brought up in the question and answer session. Kushner attributed the loss of prestige to Iowa State being more of a regional resource than a national resource. He proposed the College of Engineering take on more high-risk, high paying projects and set “audacious goals” so it would increase its international visibility and recognition.

Judy Vance, chairwoman and professor of mechanical engineering, agreed with Kushner’s proposal to allow students the option of taking more electives.

“Providing more flexibility is appealing,” she said. “But we have to be sure to provide the flexibility and the core education.”

It would be hard, she said, to streamline the core curriculum, since each faculty member has a different idea of what is essential.

The end goal of giving students a chance to go into other areas, particularly entrepreneurship, would be worthwhile, Vance said.

“I think the global economy requires engineers who can understand business plans and venture capital,” she said. “[Entrepreneurship] is not for all students, but to have that option is a good idea.”