Chowing down

Matt Moeller

It’s 2 a.m. on a Sunday — the bar rush has officially begun for Campustown food vendors.

Students in various stages of intoxication pour out of the bars and into the restaurants of Welch Avenue, overflowing onto the sidewalks.

Late-night dining has become a necessity for these bar patrons and a worthwhile venture for businesses willing to cater to this nocturnal feeding frenzy.

Ryan Lantz, senior in electrical engineering, was working the counter at Home Team Pizza, 2426 Lincoln Way, at midnight.

“Midnight to 3 a.m. are the best hours of the day,” Lantz said. “We’ve had people pass out still holding their slice of pizza.”

At 2 a.m., most students haven’t eaten for close to seven hours.

Jay Johnson, physician at Ingersoll Family Physicians, 3714 Ingersoll Ave. in Des Moines, said there is no known medical reason that explains why alcohol makes drinkers hungry.

“There is a strong social aspect,” Johnson said.

“The cutting back on inhibitions provided by alcohol will make people snack when they usually wouldn’t.”

Another theory comes from pharmacist Tiffany Lichty, Hy-Vee, 3800 Lincoln Way.

“Alcohol is [an appetite] stimulant,” Lichty said.

Whatever the reason, Campustown enjoys a boom in restaurant business on the weekend.

At Jimmy John’s, 135 Welch Ave., the customers were clamoring for a sandwich.

“Our busiest time is the bar rush,” said Izela Gauna, general manager at Jimmy John’s. “Friday nights are five times as busy as Wednesdays.”

Just outside on the sidewalk, one of the oldest Welch Avenue late-night dining options was alive with activity.

“Middle no veggies,” came the order at the gyro stand.

Scatman John’s “Scatman” was coming from the radio, and five people who were standing in line joined in on the chorus at the top of their lungs.

“We want to continue the fun of the night,” said Matthew Goodman, owner of the gyro stand, Smiles & Gyros. “It’s just a vivacious experience, and it’s fun to be around the cooking.”

The newest entry into the late night dining scene is the Canadian-based franchise The Pita Pit, 114 Welch Ave., which opened Jan. 10. Complete with cartoon paintings of ingredients on the walls, it, too, is attempting to cash in on the “fun place for students to go” marketing idea.

“It’s just a laid-back, fun atmosphere,” said Chris Fry, Pita Pit employee and graduate student in mechanical engineering.