Trip illnesses can be prevented

T.J. Mapes

There are a few short days before the mass campus exodus to warmer climates and a week without obligations or responsibilities.

As students pack their bags and finish up the last few days of classes, health and travel experts said there are a few things to keep in mind while soaking up the sun and fun.

Tip: Get checked out before leaving.

Mary Fosse, program coordinator of the travel clinic at the Thielen Student Health Center, said she believes getting checked out by a doctor before leaving for spring break is the most important precautionary measure for travelers to take.

“We sit down with the patient and have them fill out an information sheet,” she said. “This way, we can figure out if the patient has had any illnesses in the past, if they are allergic to anything and where it is they are going so that we can tell them how to prevent certain things for the specific places they are going.”

Tip: Drink bottled water.

Shana Bredensteiner, manager of STA Travel Services, 2526 Lincoln Way, said she strongly suggests drinking bottled water on spring break.

“Drink a lot of bottled water to avoid dehydration and for sanitation reasons as well,” Bredensteiner said.

“Lesser-developed countries put ice cubes in their water, so you should watch out for countries that do this because even though you are not drinking their water, their ice cubes are still made from it,” she said.

Tip: Call your insurance agent.

Fosse said she believes it’s a good idea to get in contact with your insurance agent.

“It’s a good idea to call the number on the back of your insurance card before you leave, and tell them where you are planning on going and what they cover there,” she said.

Tip: Wash hands frequently.

Fosse said washing your hands can lead to a clean bill of health.

“I can not stress enough to wash your hands as much as possible,” Fosse said. “This will help prevent any germs that you can pick up and help prevent you from catching anything that is going around.”

Tip: Get a base tan.

Bredensteiner said hitting the tanning bed before you leave might not be such a bad idea.

“Getting a base tan will help to prevent burning,” Bredensteiner said. “You should also wear tanning lotion or sunscreen, too.”

Tip: Take medicine to prevent illness before leaving.

Fosse said finding out what to watch for before you leave will save you some troubles.

“When someone comes to see us [at the Thielen Student Health Center], we find out where it is they are going and then look up what current illnesses are there. Then we can help them to prevent getting them by getting them on certain antibiotics and medicines.”

Tip: Watch the conditions of foods and drinks.

Fosse said she has concerns about eating certain foods and drinking certain drinks.

“Cold food should be cold, and hot food should be hot,” said Fosse. “That is a good warning sign that something could be wrong if your food is otherwise. Also, avoid street vendors or any other unorthodox restaurants.”