Art of biological illustration highlighted in nature exhibit

Susan Mackey

Nestled within the walls of a flower shop, an art exhibit about nature has found a fitting home.

The Art Walk Gallery within Coe’s Campus Floral & Gifts, 2619 NorthRidge Parkway, is currently hosting “Observations of Nature,” an exhibit featuring artwork by students majoring in biological/pre-medical illustration.

Arthur Croyle, associate professor of art and design and program director for the biological/pre-medical illustration program, says he thought a gallery within a flower shop would be the perfect environment to showcase the work of his students.

“So I am standing in a florist shop thinking it is a natural mix,” Croyle says. “I contacted them and said I could get a body of work together.”

The show consists of 20 pieces featuring scenes of nature and natural settings drawn by a number of students in the biological/pre-medical illustration program. Most of the illustrations are hand-drawn and painted, but some are computer-generated using software like Adobe Photoshop.

Croyle says the classical way of showing a plant is to draw the whole plant as the main focus and then show the details of the root, stem and leaf off to the side.

Elizabeth Vogel, senior in biological/pre-medical illustration and president of the Biological/Pre-Medical Illustration Club, has some works in the show. Vogel says the displayed works aren’t typical of the work seen in most exhibits.

“It is all scientific illustration and isn’t a very expressive art form. It is just a different genre of art,” Vogel says. “This show is full of highly scientific illustrations of flowers and different types of plants.”

Vogel says the illustrations in this field can cover a variety of different subjects.

“It can go from what the anatomy of what a heart looks like to pre-Hispanic art,” Vogel says.

Croyle says students in the biological/pre-medical illustration field have to be able to create clear, beautiful images, but also have to pass a lot of biology and chemistry classes. He hopes the show will raise awareness of the major and show the quality of the students’ work.

“You don’t have many people wandering around who think, ‘Yeah, I am really interested in the science of trees, and I really like to draw them,'” Croyle says. “But we find them.”