Bush winning over young voters

Scott Rank

Despite the popular belief that young voters traditionally uphold Democratic beliefs, a recent Newsweek Genext Poll claims they support President Bush with a slim majority on issues like the economy, the war in Iraq and his overall performance.

The stark divide among young voters suggests opinions about Bush’s performance are strongly polarized. The split is similar to the division among the general public.

According to the poll, 54 percent of young voters ages 18 to 29 approve Bush’s conduct of the presidency, a figure comparable to Bush’s approval with the general public.

“Students support Bush on these issues because he is working for the general public, and that’s who college students are,” said Anne Naberhaus, member of the ISU College Republicans and sophomore in industrial engineering.

According to the poll, 60 percent of younger voters believe the decision to invade Iraq was correct and only 37 percent call the war a mistake.

However, Bush doesn’t carry the majority on all issues. Sixty percent said they agree with the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision allowing abortion, and 38 percent said they disagree.

The young voters also don’t back the president’s opposition to gay marriage. Fifty-four percent oppose a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage with only 43 percent supporting that ban, according to the Newsweek poll.

Though a slim majority of young voters approve of Bush, some students think his appeal will fade as the presidential race moves forward.

Gabriel Whitaker, treasurer of the ISU Democrats and junior in public service and administration in agriculture, said young voters will pledge their allegiance to the Democratic challenger as soon as he emerges.

“Bush doesn’t appeal to young voters,” he said. “Issues like same-sex marriage will really hurt him because his stances aren’t as strong as some of the Democratic candidates, like Howard Dean. I think students are looking for somebody new and candidates like Howard Dean, John Kerry and John Edwards are all new faces that students are excited about.”

Bush doesn’t dominate the polls, but the slim majority support of Bush could hinder the campaigns of Dean and Kerry, who believe they have harnessed a huge pool of younger Americans who don’t typically go to the voting booth.

Naberhaus said Bush will win the presidential race because most young Americans are happy with the status quo.

“His current strength in the polls will help him in the race because people will put their support behind the president all the way,” she said. “They’ll battle to keep our country the way it is.”

Bush’s good poll standing won’t guarantee re-election, however.

Only 37 percent said they would definitely vote to re-elect the president while 34 percent said they would vote to elect someone else. Few students are neutral in the current presidential race; they either love Bush or will do anything to oust him, said William Rock, senior in agricultural business.

“I think he’s polarized the entire country,” he said.

Young voters are sharply divided on Bush’s policies, but overall, most voters like Bush’s character, Rock said. He said he believed former President Bill Clinton was the opposite: Most voters liked his policies but not his personal character. Rock said policies weren’t enough to resuscitate his faltering presidency.

“Opponents of Bush agree that he is a likable guy, but they still say his politics are ridiculous, ” he said.