Singles set ‘speed date’ to assist animal shelter

Brett M. Plotz

Need a date? How about 50 of them at the same time?

As Valentine’s Day approaches, Michael Severin, sophomore in veterinary medicine, is hoping to help those unlucky in love this year and raise money for charity at the same time by bringing a trend to Ames that has been gaining popularity across the country — speed dating.

As an Academic Resource Coordinator in Eaton Hall, Severin is in a unique position when it comes to having a finger on the pulse of his residents.

“I always hear from students who don’t want to go out to the bars to meet new people,” Severin says. “Plus, a lot of students aren’t 21 yet, so I thought this would be a good way for students to meet each other.”

The idea to hold a speed dating event on campus came to Severin while he was visiting the Ames Animal Shelter, 325 Billy Sunday Road. While there, he spotted a lone cat with a broken leg. When he asked about the cat, Severin was told the fallen feline was to be held for a week in hopes that the owner would claim it so the shelter would not have to foot the bill for the cat’s medical expenses. This type of problem was becoming a drain on the shelter’s expense funds.

“The cat at the shelter with the broken leg was the inspiration,” Severin says.

The inspiration was not lost on Jon Alexander, a public outreach officer for the Ames Animal Shelter.

“[When] something like this happens from the ISU community, we try to give back to them,” Alexander says.

The money raised from each $6 entry fee will go toward animal supplies and veterinary bills for strays. Alexander says some of the money will also go toward the ISU Spay and Neuter Assistance Fund — a cause that may not be on the minds of most students, Alexander says, but is important nonetheless.

After paying the $6 entry fee at the door, participants will sign in using their names and e-mail addresses, and be assigned a number so they can remain anonymous to the other daters, Severin says. Each participant will sit down in two rows of chairs facing each other and commence “dating.” After three minutes, the men stand up and move on to the next participant and start over again. At the end of the night, the daters will write down the numbers of the top 10 people they would like to know more about. If a computer finds a match in those numbers, the couple will exchange contact information.

“What the people do next is up to them,” Severin says.

Severin says the intimate environment should help people relax and ultimately have a good time.

Paul Kronser, freshman in community and regional planning, agrees.

“It’s a good way to meet people because the campus is so big,” says Kronser, who is planning to participate in the event. “It eliminates the intimidation factor.”

Allie Quinn, freshman in liberal arts and sciences — open option, also plans to take part. She says she is excited for the possibilities of the event.

“In the winter, there is a major lull in socialization,” Quinn says. “I don’t know anywhere else you can go on 50 different dates and meet 50 different people in such a short amount of time.”

What: Three Minute Date-In

Where: Great Hall, Memorial Union

When: 7 p.m. Monday

Cost: $6