Cholesterol tests may help prevent other health risks

Matt Moeller

High cholesterol is not often a worry for college students, but attitudes and behaviors that contribute to the problem are often learned at a young age.

The Thielen Student Health Center is running a cholesterol screening program to educate the public about personal levels of cholesterol and risks associated with those levels.

Although high cholesterol is not usually associated with younger people, Thielen Student Health Dietitian Judy Trumpy said students should get tested anyway.

“It’s a good idea for students to get screened, so that they know where they are,” Trumpy said.

She said she recommends getting tested in a few years to see if there are any changes in cholesterol levels.

“It’s hard to bring a high number down,” Trumpy said.

The test requires a 12-hour, water-only fast prior to testing. Brian Dunn, program coordinator at the Student Health Center, said he expects a turnout of 100 to 150 people during the two-week program. The blood samples are sent to another lab and the results are mailed to the patient in approximately 10 days.

“If the results are out of line, the wellness center is then available to help with getting the numbers to a reasonable level,” Dunn said. “Dietitians are available to work with individuals to make any dietary changes they need to make.”

Trumpy is one of the dietitians who will conduct a follow-up interview if a client’s levels are high.

“I work to teach clients about intuitive eating, eating when you’re hungry and stopping when you’re full,” Trumpy said. “Anything you can think of out of a box or bag contains trans-fats and hydrogenated oils.”

These fats are associated with higher total cholesterol, Trumpy said. Mono- and poly-unsaturated fats, which include nuts and complex carbohydrates like beans, are lower in cholesterol.

Marc Shulman, staff physician at Thielen Student Health Center, said a total cholesterol level of 240 or above puts people at a higher risk for heart attack and stroke. Although there are no visible symptoms of a high cholesterol level, there are a few risk factors, not including cholesterol levels, associated with heart disease.

Family history, tobacco use, blood pressure, a sedentary lifestyle and being overweight are all factors in determining risk for heart disease.

“A level of 180 or below for students would be desirable,” Shulman said. “Early intervention is the key to helping at risk individuals.”

Another aspect of cholesterol is the level of High-density Lipoprotein or “good cholesterol.” Shulman said he would like these levels above 45. Good cholesterol in the blood aids in delivering bad cholesterol to the liver where it can be eliminated. Aerobic exercise may be the only way to increase these levels, he said.

Name— brand cholesterol drugs are being advertised in the media, including Mevacor and Zocor, but Shulman said they are not a cure-all for high cholesterol.

“These medications are not meant for women who want to be pregnant,” Shulman said. “You can’t just take a pill and then eat whatever you want.”

The only way to reduce your levels are through diet and exercise.

The popular Atkins diet has also come under fire from cholesterol researchers. The foods associated with the high protein diet have been shown to increase the cholesterol levels in dieters.

“The Atkins diet is meant to help people lose weight in a short amount of time and is not meant as a lifestyle change,” Shulman said.

The test costs $10 and is available at the Thielen Student Health Center.