Visiting artist presents Chinese music

Daniel C. Hartman

For one composer visiting Iowa State, music has more of a cultural impact than the general public realizes.

Shan-Hua “George” Chien, chairman of the music department at National Taiwan Normal University, is in the midst of a three-week visit to campus hosted by the ISU music department. Chien is a composer and researcher in the field of ethnomusicology, the study of music’s historical and cultural contexts.

Chien will be on campus as part of Iowa State’s artist-in-residence program. ISU students and faculty will also present a music program of Chien’s work at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall.

“They will be performing four of my pieces,” Chien says. “Two vocal and one each for flute and the clarinet.”

David Stuart, associate professor of music and Chien’s host during his visit, says Wednesday’s performance is only the first of numerous talks and performances Chien will be conducting during his stay on campus.

“While he is here, George will also be giving a lecture on his work in the field of ethnomusicology,” Stuart says. “He also will be working with band directors from across the state as part of the annual Cyclone Honor Band Festival. He’ll be very busy.”

Chien is in Ames as part of an exchange program that has been in place for several years. In the past, members of the ISU faculty have visited Taiwan, Stuart says. He says the music faculty is pleased to have someone with Chien’s background visiting.

Chien says that while he is here, he will be working with ISU music students in the fields of composition and developing new skills.

“I hope to show students new ways to look at music. I also want to introduce them to many traditionally Chinese instruments,” Chien says. “I hope to highlight the differences and similarities on how our two cultures perceive musical form.”

Chien also has advice to offer to vocalists.

“I also have been working with both students and faculty on correct Chinese diction, as we will be featuring music that has been presented in the past by the Peking Opera,” Chien says.

Chien says he also wants to invite students from other departments, especially anthropology, to his lecture. He says that in studying music, he has seen evidence time and time again of how important music is in a cultural context. Chien says music is part of what defines a culture.

“I think music should know no borders or boundaries,” Chien says.

“What I would like is for music lovers around the world to come to an understanding of each other. That way music can truly become a universal language.”

Who: Shan-Hua Chien

What: Recital and lecture

Where: Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall

When: 7:30 p.m., Wednesday

Cost: Free