Decisions, decisions

Scott Rank

ISU students packed voting precincts Monday, campaigning vigorously for their chosen candidates: Howard Dean, John Kerry or John Edwards. But in William Rock’s case, he was supporting nobody.

Rock, senior in agricultural business, attended the Iowa caucuses as an undecided voter. While many Iowans have remained undecided throughout the campaigning season, few remained loyal to no candidate as long as he has.

The caucus meeting for Ames precinct 1-1 was held in the gymnasium of Kate Mitchell Elementary School, 3521 Jewel Drive Supporters sat under the 7-foot basketball hoops while volunteers registered voters as they struggled to wedge themselves at a child-friendly lunch table.

When Rock arrived at the gymnasium, he was a registered Independent. Rock said he aligned himself closest with the Libertarian Party, which he supported in the 2000 election. However, he was forced to change parties because Democratic caucus rules require all participants to be registered as Democrats. Changing his party took 30 seconds of paperwork.

“It doesn’t matter, I’ll be an Independent again tomorrow morning,” Rock said.

As he walked in the gymnasium, Rock said he was leaning toward supporting Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C. He said he also appreciated former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean and Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass.

“[Edwards] is a better candidate because he has a better chance of beating Bush,” he said. “He’s also from a working-class family, which is where I’m from.”

Rock’s decision to attend his first caucus, even though he didn’t know which candidate to choose, was fueled by his desire to be a part of the democratic process. He said he considers Iowa’s first-in-the-nation status in the presidential race a privilege.

“It would be un-American not to be a part of this process,” he said.

The evening began at 7 p.m., with attendees promptly sitting down in their chairs.

Few students live in Rock’s precinct, making him one of the few young attendees among a sea of middle-aged and elderly constituents. He said he was disappointed at the low student voter turnout.

The number of attendees was 178 — double the number from four years ago. Jim Hutter, precinct caucus chairman and associate professor of political science, said he was pleased with the packed gymnasium.

“That’s a hell of a caucus,” he said. “I don’t think we’ve had that many people before.”

After everyone registered, the tone of the evening shifted as representatives for each candidate gave two-minute speeches stating why their candidate was the best. All candidates except the Rev. Al Sharpton and Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., were spoken for.

Mary Huba, professor of educational leadership and policy studies, a Dennis Kucinich supporter, said she was excited about the Ohio congressman’s campaign in a way she hadn’t been excited since college.

Other supporters gave their speeches until they came around to Edwards supporter, Ames resident Bob Kerksieck. He said Edwards’ recent surge of popularity was his pitch to undecided voters.

“Undecided voters have been looking to candidates, and they are moving in to Edwards in ever-larger numbers,” he said.

However, there was one attendee who still decided to remain undecided: Rock. In fact, while political speeches were going back and forth across the tiny gym’s basketball court, he stood up and spoke out for the “Undecided Candidate.”

Rock stood up, said “I support anybody but Bush, thank you,” and sat back down.

Once the speeches were finished, the voting began. After a few dozen votes, the vote-getters emerged: Edwards, Dean and Kerry. For a candidate to remain viable, his supporters had to comprise 15 percent of the people in attendance.

The 15 percent minimum swept away those who supported the less-popular Kucinich and Clark and forced them to side with the more successful candidates.

It was time for Rock to get off the fence.

He was given three minutes to decide for whom to vote. As he pondered the field, several supporters attempted to sway his allegiance toward their candidate.

Maureen Meyer, a Dean supporter, attempted to discredit Edwards, who was fast becoming Rock’s favorite candidate.

“Did you know that Edwards wrote the Patriot Act?” she said.

“Yes, I did,” Rock replied. “In fact, I’ve read most of the Patriot Act, and I know he didn’t write the entire 300-page document.”

After Meyer left, Rock spent a few more seconds more pondering the candidates. He finally took a seat with the Edwards supporters. As soon as he sat down, they broke out in applause, welcoming their “prodigal son” to the group.

Rock chose the winner. The final vote count showed Edwards with 67 votes, followed by Kerry with 66 and Dean with 39. Edwards and Kerry each won four delegates and Dean received three.

Although the process was drawn-out and sometimes confusing, Rock said he enjoyed his first open caucus experience much more than the closed primary system. He was also chosen to be a county delegate for Edwards.

“I love caucuses,” he said. “I think this is real democracy in action. Sure — it’s a bit messy, but it pulls the community together.”