ISU film festival fosters creativity with Macs

Dan Hopper

For the first time, an ISU computer club is giving aspiring filmmakers the chance to hone their craft without a big financial investment.

The Iowa State University Macintosh Users Group is giving student filmmakers an opportunity to win some cash while doing something they enjoy. The event is co-sponsored by Apple Computer and is meant to show the versatility of the Macintosh in filming and video editing applications.

Mark Kerwood, sophomore in management information systems, says independent film festivals have been popular on the East and West coasts. He is hoping they will catch on in the Midwest as well.

“We have the equipment on campus for this to happen,” he says. “We are hoping for at least three entries in each [of four categories], so about 12 to 15 entries.”

Kerwood says Apple has been encouraging similar events in other educational markets as well.

“Apple Computer has been pushing these things in grade schools and high schools,” he says.

“They are doing it to show that their equipment for this type of stuff is better than it is on PCs.”

Students may submit films in any genre they wish, including educational- or curriculum-related, ISU or Ames community related, comedy and drama. Films may be no more than 10 minutes long including credits, and the only people who can film and edit footage are the person who entered the film and his or her teammates.

Filming equipment, including cameras, tripods, lights and microphones, are available for students to use for production. Kerwood says Academic Information Technologies also has iBook laptops with iMovie and Final Cut Pro software preinstalled available for checkout. All students who wish to enter a film must also fill out an Intent to Compete form, which is available on the group’s Web site and are also required to check out equipment by 11:59 p.m. Feb. 20.

Kerwood says any student may submit a film, as long as the film has been edited using the Mac’s iMovie or Final Cut Pro software.

“Our only requirement is that it has been edited on a Mac,” Kerwood says.

“I don’t see why anyone would want to suffer through the pain to do it on a Windows computer.”

Kerwood says the judges will be rating the films based on creativity, innovative technology use, videography, editing, relevance of the story and the quality of the actors’ performances.

John Rearick, sophomore in pre-business and webmaster for the ISU Macintosh Users Group, says the films will be presented April 6, although the group is still looking for a location to present the films. Judges will be chosen after a location is finalized.

Kerwood says one of the Macintosh Users Group’s goals is to help provide opportunities for local filmmakers and increase awareness of the club and the Macintosh across campus.

Rearick says changes may be made depending on student reaction.

“This is the first year we are trying this,” he says. “We’d like to hear from people as to what they want.”