After caucuses, some take a break, others push harder

Scott Rank

Monday, the world was watching the Iowa caucuses. However, after the thrilling conclusion, the Democratic battle moved to New Hampshire, followed by news trucks, reporters and the attention of the world.

With larger states on the horizon for presidential candidates, some Iowans fear their state will be forgotten until the 2008 caucuses. However, ISU professors and student activists said they aren’t worried.

“Iowa is not forgotten,” said Steffen Schmidt, university professor of political science. “Only the level of frenzy has declined.”

Schmidt was extremely busy during the caucuses. In the days leading up to the caucuses, he said he was contacted by national media multiple times a day and spent most of the day talking to them. Schmidt was a guest on CNN’s “Crossfire,” MSNBC, National Public Radio, British Broadcasting Corp. and countless others.

He was even interviewed by Waste News, the official publication of trash and toxic waste companies.

Although the caucuses are over, Schmidt said he is still busy.

“I’m not just an Iowa caucus expert, I’m a political scientist who is very well known in election politics,” he said.

Students are also keeping busy.

Hannah Schoenthal-Muse, president of the ISU Democrats and senior in liberal studies, said the coming spring will be a time for recruitment and building up the party’s ranks before November’s presidential election.

For other students, the fallout of the Iowa caucuses was time for a break.

Drew Larson, vice president of Students for Kerry and junior in accounting, said the activity of the club has toned down since Monday.

Larson has been campaigning hard since early October. His commitment to Kerry’s campaign kept increasing until late December, when Larson spent the last two weeks of semester break working for the campaign nine hours a day, seven days a week.

“During the last month I was a pseudo-staff member, minus the very poor pay,” he said. “I’m so tired. Before the caucuses, I didn’t sleep for like a week.”

Larson and other student activists are breathing a sigh of relief, but their job isn’t over. They will keep campaigning until the November elections.

Students for Kerry will spend this week writing letters to New Hampshire citizens, convincing them to vote for Kerry.

Larson and other Kerry supporters will also give a send-off to the Kerry staffers, who will travel to New Hampshire.

“We’ll send them off and make sure they’re ready to keep the fight going,” he said.