Goodman’s goal: Unite the community

Andrea Hanna

Door knocking is Matthew Goodman’s favorite part of the campaigning process.

“I love talking with people,” he said. “It is the means by which I have learned the most during this campaign.”

Goodman, 3303 West St., is running against Mary Ann Lundy, after neither received a majority of the vote in the Nov. 4 general election for the at-large seat for the Ames City Council

Goodman, 31, has run the gyro stand on Welch Avenue since he was 20.

Goodman, who has lived in Ames for 12 years, said he believes he’ll be good for this position because he has gotten to know many students and Ames residents.

“I thought I would best represent a citywide constituency since I have spent many years developing a good relationship with both the students and the permanent residents,” Goodman said in an e-mail response.

Goodman said he’s the best candidate for the at-large seat because he would be the youngest member on the council.

“I feel I can offer a fresh perspective,” Goodman said. “Currently, the Ames City Council is laden with experience; what it is desperately lacking is a fresh voice.”

Neysa Furber, Goodman’s campaign manager and girlfriend, believes in Goodman and his values.

“I trust his mind,” Furber said. “He has a great gift for seeing the best possible solution for the largest amount of people.”

Goodman attributed his leadership skills to being involved with councils since junior high and starting his own business.

“I have always dreamed of bringing my unique style of leadership to the realm of governmental politics, and that is what has brought me to this point,” Goodman said.

Goodman’s top priority if elected is to bring students and permanent Ames residents together.

“I will work to make this city listen and get to know its students, and vice versa,” Goodman said.

“I want to establish a City Council ex officio member on the [Government of the Student Body], encourage more neighborhood events to be organized by students and to facilitate more ISU and community groups working together to sponsor events for the entire community.”

Goodman said he doesn’t want Ames to fall into the same traps the federal and state governments have.

“I want to see [Ames] not focus only on differences and divisions but also look to find similarities and unity,” Goodman said.

“If there is community division, what is needed is not an effort to deepen it, but an effort to present alternatives that might further the goals of two sides at once.”

Mayor Ted Tedesco said he hopes people will vote Tuesday because it is a right, and also out of respect for the candidates.

“I hope everyone who is registered will get out and exercise their right to vote,” Tedesco said. “Both of them have worked very hard.”