Argument over Mozart Effect continues

Kelli Girdner

Music is many things — relaxing, introspective, mood-elevating. But can the right type of music actually influence test scores?

The Mozart Effect, which has been researched and debated since the 1950s, involves the correlation between listening to music and getting higher grades.

Many of the studies that have been done in this field focus on the mathematical repetition in the rhythm of classical music, as well as how the brain reacts to the music, furthering spatial and general mental development. At its most basic, some people think listening to classical music can at least enhance the time spent studying.

“Clearly, music serves a couple of things — for one, [it is] a relaxant,” says Marty Martinez, psychologist at the Student Counseling Services. “It actually serves as a block to all the other noise around.”

Joel Ewest, senior in management information systems, says he listens to classical music while he studies.

“I listen to classical music because there are no words, and there’s no bass — it’s not distracting, but it still keeps out the other noise,” Ewest says.

Ewest, who heard of the Mozart Effect back in high school, has a background in music, having been in chorus and playing trumpet in high school.

“I got a CD called ‘Mozart for the Mind.’ It’s supposed to help you study.” Ewest says. “I don’t know if it makes me smarter, I just use it because it doesn’t distract me.”

There are certain types of people who are more prone to listen to classical music, and they may be the same type who are more prone to earning higher grades, Martinez says. He suggested there might be a triangular correlation that would tie the ideas together.

“People who are contemplative, philosophical, thoughtful — those people tend to do a little better in school,” Martinez says. “Those people will tend to listen to classical music.”

Chuck Erickson, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies, who earned his bachelor’s degree from Lawrence University in Appleton, Wis., is a firm advocate of using classical music to improve studying as well as other basic life skills.

“Being actively involved with music helps with organization, time management, people skills and personal expression,” Erickson says. “If you play classical music, your brain will be able to sort [ideas and thoughts].” Erickson, who taught kindergarten through 12th-grade music, says he has seen music make a difference in personal and academic development.

“From my own experience when I was a music teacher, the ones who kept up with music tended to be academically stronger,” Erickson says. “I think there’s a direct correlation between the two. How big of one? I don’t know.”

Some students, however, say they’ve noticed no difference when studying with classical music as opposed to other types.

Aaron Murray, senior in marketing, has tried listening to classical music while studying. He says while the Mozart Effect could apply to younger children’s development, he has not seen a difference in his academics that he would credit to his music choices.