Demand for meningitis vaccine increases with UNI deaths

Liz Duff

Forty doses of the meningitis vaccine were airlifted from Ames to Cedar Falls Monday morning after a second University of Northern Iowa student died from the infection.

“The three state schools help each other out whenever there is a crisis situation, and students at UNI were in great demand for the vaccine, so we brought up more doses as quickly as possible,” said Jim Nelson, director of Thielen Student Health Center.

Sue Courts, director for the UNI Health Center, contacted Nelson and said they were running out of the meningitis vaccine, which students had lined up to receive. Pharmacists at Thielen Student Health Center packaged the vaccines and the Iowa Highway Patrol airlifted them to the University of Northern Iowa.

There is a total of three deaths in the Cedar Falls area so far this year from meningitis, which has caused concern among residents, Nelson said.

The outbreaks led some to believe the meningitis infection is an epidemic, and the source of the problem should be found as soon as possible to protect the community, Nelson said.

Thielen Student Health Center keeps approximately 50 to 60 meningitis vaccines on hand, Nelson said.

“There are always so many students coming and going, and it is important to keep an adequate number of vaccines,” Nelson said.

Meningitis is an infection that can lead to swelling of fluid around the brain and spinal cord, said Dr. Marc Shulman, chief of staff for Thielen Student Health Center.

The infection is found in two forms: bacterial and viral. Viral meningitis is caused by a virus and is generally mild, whereas bacterial meningitis is caused by bacteria and is more serious and can result in death, Shulman said.

“Meningitis symptoms may be similar to flu symptoms, but it is important to come in and get a spinal tap if symptoms don’t improve or worsen over time,” Shulman said.

When meningitis is detected early, antibiotics may be taken to reduce the symptoms and risk of death, he said.

Meningitis is very contagious and can spread through close contact with another person who has the infection, Shulman said. Bacteria can spread by kissing or sharing beverages with an infected person.

Risk for infection tends to be more prevalent in situations where people live in close proximity, including dormitories, fraternities and sororities, and Army barracks, Shulman said.

While there is a great demand for the meningitis vaccine, it is only 80 percent effective, he said. Keeping mouths covered while coughing and washing hands, and not sharing food, water bottles or toothbrushes with those who are ill can help prevent infection.

No deaths from meningitis have been recorded at Iowa State; however, there were several cases of the infection a few years ago, Shulman said.

Shulman urges students to come in to the health center if they are ill and show symptoms of meningitis.

“We offer meningitis vaccinations and are happy to see students if they are concerned,” he said.