Lecture will illustrate visual media’s power, effects on the mind

Kate Lewellen

The power of visual images and the way these images affect the human mind will be discussed Thursday night by an expert in the field of visual communications.

Ann Marie Barry, an associate communication professor and assistant director of the Capstone Program at Boston College, will present “Video Lies and False Memory: How Visual Media Shapes Our Brain” at 8 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

Barry is the author of “Visual Intelligence: Perception, Image, and Manipulation in Visual Communication.” She is currently working on a new book, “How Images Mean.”

Barry said images have a strong impact on the human mind.

“My belief is that images are the way our mind makes sense of the world around us,” she said. “They have tremendous impact on us. Images are the way the mind functions.”

Dennis Dake, professor of art and design, knows Barry through the Visual Literary Association. Dake teaches a graduate class in journalism and said the class uses Barry’s book as the textbook for the class.

“I thought it would be interesting for the students in my class to meet their author, who happens to be one of the leading theorists on visual communication,” he said.

Mary Stieglitz, professor of art and design, also knows of Barry’s work.

“She speaks to topics that have meaning for all of us as consumers,” she said. “She does incredible work to show us the power of the media and the images we see in our everyday life.”

Stieglitz said the results of Barry’s research is dramatic.

“[Barry] can show research that she and others have done that indicates the images the media bombard us with are so influential that they actually rewire us and cause physiological changes, which is scary, but very important for us to realize,” Stieglitz said.

Stieglitz said Barry will present research findings on an international level.

“[Barry] is always very up to date on international research,” Stieglitz said. “She does not present just a small window of the world.”

Barry said she hopes listeners will gain understanding on the effects of visual images through her lecture.

“My message is that when you come to understand the way the mind works, you can then realize the tremendous power of visual images on our minds,” Barry said.