Diversity conversation will focus on court case about segregation

Elyse Lucas

ISU President Gregory Geoffroy’s conversations on diversity will return to Iowa State Wednesday, with a focus on the historic Brown v. Board of Education decision.

The first installment of this year’s series of diversity conversations, which were introduced at Iowa State last year, will be held from 1 to 2 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union and will include an open forum and discussion.

The discussion will focus on the importance of the Brown decision, which the university is observing throughout the year, and will also give students the opportunity to voice their opinion on the issue of diversity.

“The general purpose is to educate students and offer an open forum for students to offer their insights,” said Carla Espinoza, assistant vice president for Human Resources and director of the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Espinoza said a group of 75 to 80 people are expected to attend.

Sheena Green, director of student diversity for the Government of the Student Body, said she feels it’s important students attend the discussion because it provides a way for both students and faculty to express their views on diversity.

“It’s great to have students attend because there is that generation gap between faculty and students,” she said.

The main focus of the discussion, however, will be centered on the Brown decision and how it impacts society today.

To help students realize the importance of the event, Green prepared a video of herself interviewing students on campus about the court ruling and the issue of segregation.

Most students interviewed were not familiar with the significance of the Brown decision, Green said.

“Is this progress that we leave these issues behind?” Green said. “If we’re not sure what Brown v. the Board of Education is today, is that good or bad? What I think is important is that it ended segregation, and I think it’s important for [students] to know that.”

Another topic that may be addressed is building a multicultural center on campus, said GSB President Mike Banasiak.

“We’re trying to decide where the best place is [to build it],” he said. “By having these discussions, [we will be able to hear] what students would like to see in themulticultural center.”