Banquet divides up students to show hunger problems

Elizabeth Martin and Lindsay Brantners

For millions of people who don’t have access to adequate nutrition, the problem of hunger is a reality every day. Members of the ISU community can get a taste of this experience Wednesday evening.

The third annual Hunger Banquet, sponsored by the Leadership Enrichment Action Program and the Student Union Board, takes place from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

Participants will be split into three groups, and each will draw a profile to determine what dinner will be for the evening, said Megan Brown, co-chairwoman of the Leadership Enrichment Action Program. Participants will live the life of a person from a First, Second or Third World country for two hours, said Brown, senior in statistics.

Fifteen percent will draw a high income profile and will receive a gourmet meal served at an elegant table. Thirty percent will sit at a simple table and eat a meal consisting of rice and beans. Fifty-five percent will be served rice and water and will sit on the floor.

“Participants are often very surprised to see just how many people are going hungry,” said Cullen Schwarz of the Better Safer World campaign, a coalition of nine international aid and development organizations based in Urbandale.

“Hunger banquets are fun yet moving experiences designed to provide a meaningful, interactive way for individuals to learn about hunger and poverty.”

Schwarz will be speaking at the event and said “increased awareness and understanding of issues surrounding hunger and poverty” are goals of the event along with “increased desire to take action to help the impoverished.”

Laura Bestler-Wilcox, program coordinator for the Dean of Students Office, said the event is an excellent opportunity for students to understand what is happening in the world around them.

“This event is one way to understand and experience what living in a Second or Third World country or living in poverty here in American is like, for a very short time,” said Bestler-Wilcox, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies.

The banquet will also feature live entertainment for the first time. The African drum group Mother Beat will perform along with the Cultural Dance Troupe, an Indonesian dance club, Brown said.

“Few will leave a hunger banquet with a full stomach, but all leave filled with a greater understanding of global hunger and poverty, and the motivation to do something about it,” Schwarz said.

All proceeds from the event will be donated to Oxfam America, a worldwide development organization, and a local food shelf.

To keep garbage production down each person is asked to bring a spoon.

Tickets are required and can be purchased in Room B6 in the Memorial Union.