Opportunities for exploration in theater offered by group

Daniel C. Hartman

Using their own money, a group of ISU students have founded an organization that gives an alternative to bigger theater productions — for both their benefit and the benefit of the audience.

The best part is, when the cast of the Theatre of Mass Destruction takes the stage Tuesday at the Maintenance Shop, fans of live theater can catch a show for less than a bottle of soda from a vending machine.

“We decided to have it at the Maintenance Shop because it’s an interesting space to present things, and it’s right on campus, so it’s easy to find,” says Melanie Snow, president of the Theater of Mass Destruction. “The M-Shop provides a very intimate atmosphere for the audience and is perfect for the type of productions we are doing.”

Despite recently becoming an official student organization, the Theatre of Mass Destruction self-funded themselves to get started.

“At first, we didn’t get a chance to apply for funding from the Government of the Student Body,” says Snow, junior in performing arts. “We all chipped in money out of our own pockets to get things started. We have since made our money back and that’s how we are putting on the show this fall.”

Snow says some of the startup money came from the group’s shows this summer and part came from a recent bake sale held in Pearson Hall. This fall’s performance happened because the group wanted to do a show since many weren’t in other productions.

Kevin Geiken, junior in performing arts, says he enjoys being part of the company.

“This group gives people an opportunity to explore things that they might not have an opportunity to do otherwise,” Geiken says. “It gives those of us who are theater majors a chance to improve ourselves as directors, actors and writers, but gives other people a chance to take to the stage as well.”

Snow says the group picks plays that don’t require elaborate sets and costuming. The group also borrows a lot of items from the theater department.

Their first show, “Pass the Mustard Gas,” consists of four plays.

“That title shows we are a serious bunch,” Snow says. “We try not to take ourselves too seriously. We like diversity in what we present, too.”

The first three plays to be presented Tuesday night include “Drs. Fliebert and Shpeckle Face the Void;” “The Rothko Room” by Stewart Spencer; “The 17th of July” and “Common Ground,” written by company member Derick Paper, sophomore in political science.

There is a common misconception about how long it takes to put together a small show, Snow says.

“People think that small productions like this are laid-back,” Snow says. “There is just as much hard work that goes into this show as goes into larger shows. We want the audience to get into to it as much as we do.”

Despite the rigorous preparation, Snow says she is definitely looking forward to future shows.

“We hope we have a turnout like we did for this summer’s shows,” Snow says. “If they were any indication of what tomorrow night will be like, Theatre of Mass Destruction will definitely be around for a while.”

Who: Theatre of Mass Destruction

Where: Maintenance Shop

When: 9 p.m., Tuesday

Cost: $1