Students will fast to help the hungry

Cari Laures

The Muslim Student Association is hosting an event to increase awareness of the hungry in Story County.

Last year, 669 families and 1,092 people in Ames used the Mid-Iowa Community Action food pantry at least once. This past September, 165 families used the pantry, an increase of 23 percent from last year, said Dave DeValois, public information coordinator, Mid-Iowa Community Action.

The Muslim Student Association has organized the Ramadan Fast-A-Thon as a part of an effort to bring awareness to the struggle of the hungry in Story County. This is the second year Muslim Student Association has raised money for the local food pantry.

Five to 10 area businesses have pledged to donate either a set dollar amount or a quantity of food for every non-Muslim student who agrees to fast during the daylight Sunday.

“We want to bring awareness to the hungry people of this community; it affects the lives of billions.” said Saddam Khattak, president of the Muslim Student Association and senior in computer engineering. The Fast-A-Thon is the final event for Islamic Awareness Week.

The tradition of fasting during Ramadan is a basic practice of Islam. Those who practice fasting during the month of Ramadan abstain from all food and drink from sunrise to sunset. Khattak said fasting gives him strength spiritually.

“When I am fasting, I am in a constant state of worship,” he said.

“I worship one true god and I am fasting for him.”

Adeel Ahmed, media secretary of the Muslim Student Association and senior in computer engineering, said fasting improves his nature.

“I feel that I am improving myself when I fast,” he said. “It disciplines me.”

Ahmed said it gives him a fixed routine for a month and after the first few days he gets used to not eating.

“You still eat two meals a day and you compensate during the hours that you are allowed to eat,” he said.

Khattak said fasting is also a way to cleanse the body.

“In ancient times, fasting was a way for the body to rid itself of disease,” he said. “Fasting also lowers anxiety and depression.” DeValois said the Mid-Iowa Community Action appreciates the support of Muslim Student Association.

“[The Fast-A-Thon] brings much needed attention to the issue of hunger,” he said. “Many people refuse to believe that hunger is an issue for any Ames family.”

The Fast-A-Thon will start at 4:30 p.m. in the main lobby of the College of Design Building with an introduction and a breaking of the fast with dates, cheese, milk and juice, and a large meal, prepared by Indian Kabab Restaurant and local Muslim families, will be served.

Khattak said 200 people are expected to pledge to fast.

Students who wish to participate in the Fast-A-Thon can pick up a pledge card at the West Student Office space or can sign up online until midnight on Saturday on the Muslim Student Association’s Web site, www.stuorg.iastate.edu/muslimsa.