‘Conversation’ celebrates Brown ruling

Elyse Lucas

The role of segregation in the past and its effects on education today were topics of this year’s first installment of ISU President Gregory Geoffroy’s Conversations on Diversity.

The event focused on the 1954 Brown v. Board of Education court decision, which the university is observing throughout the year. The Great Hall of the Memorial Union was packed Wednesday afternoon as Geoffroy gave his opening remarks.

“Today, [we celebrate] an important year, because it is the 50th anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education,” Geoffroy said.

“Diversity is one of our top issues. We don’t want students to leave with a bigoted mindset.”

The discussion began with a video made by Sheena Green, director of diversity for GSB. In the video, fifteen students were asked what they thought the significance of the Brown decision was and how they perceived segregation.

Most students were not very familiar with either topic.

To help students and faculty better understand these two historical issues, four panelists were invited to share personal experiences linked to the Brown ruling and segregation.

“Except for my senior year in high school, I didn’t get the benefit of the Brown v. Board of Education decision,” said Barbara Woods, extension special projects manager of family and consumer sciences.

Woods said when she was young, she had to travel far away to attend an all-black school.

“I think I am most concerned about being five and going a long way from home to go to school,” she said. “I still have anxiety about going somewhere far away.”

George Jackson, assistant dean of the graduate college, spoke about the hope Brown offers blacks.

“Blacks were trying to define their status in the country time and time again,” he said.

“Blacks couldn’t vote, decide where to eat or where to go to school. They were like second-class citizens. [The Brown decision] gave hope.”

Omar Tesdell, senior in journalism and mass communication and Daily columnist, spoke about the state of Iowa’s efforts to promote diversity.

“We have a tradition here in Iowa, and it’s continuing right now, that Gov. Vilsack is encouraging immigration, and we should be proud of that,” Tesdell said.

However, Tesdell said segregation still permeates society.

“While the Brown v. Board of Education ruling was a very important step, due to socioeconomic factors, there’s an increase in segregation.”

David Romero, junior in biology, moved to the United States from El Salvador 17 years ago. He said he is receiving a better education as a result of the court decision that ended segregation.

“I wouldn’t be speaking in front of you right now if not for that decision,” Romero said. “It is our responsibility as staff, faculty and students to perpetuate the gains made by it.”

Jackson said he hopes for a much less segregated society now and in the future.

“Hopefully, what happened that day [on] April 17, 1954, will continue today,” he said.