Undergraduate officiating leads to career

Matt Carlson

Garry Greenlee’s duties as associate director of recreational services include overseeing facility operations and intramural directors. His most important task, however, is keeping students happy.

“It is all geared towards the students,” he said. “It is my job to provide the students with something they will like and want to do.”

Greenlee grew up in Genoa, Ill. He attended college at Murray State and graduated in 1978 with a degree in health and physical education. He received his master’s degree in administration from Southern Mississippi in 1979.

Being married as a sophomore at Murray State, he was in need of money, so he decided to get involved in intramural officiating, he said. He continued officiating while attending Southern Mississippi. His officiating background eventually helped him land a job at Iowa State.

Iowa State hired him as an intramural personnel coordinator in 1979. His duties included hiring officials and other personnel for the intramurals program.

He was hired as the intramural coordinator in 1992 after the position had become vacant and held that position until this past year. In July, he was hired as the associate director of recreational services.

“I love interacting with the students and just enjoy being around them,” he said.

Greenlee is also actively involved in umpiring high school sports and collegiate baseball. He umpires high school baseball, softball, football, basketball and volleyball.

“I’ve always liked sports and it’s a way for me to stay involved after my playing days are over,” he said.

He also umpires college baseball around central Iowa.

“It’s convenient because it relates to my job as well,” he said. “I just enjoy officiating.”

New sport offered this semester:

Texas Hold’em Card Tournament

Entry deadline is Wed., Dec 3.

The tournament will be held Dec. 7 at a time to be determined.