Students traveling abroad may need vaccinations

Megan Churchill

Some of the common risks students face when they study abroad are also some of the most difficult to forsee.

Diseases like malaria and yellow fever can put a crimp in a student’s study abroad experience, but these diseases are avoidable.

Thielen Student Health Center’s Travel Clinic offers international travel services to students, faculty, staff and their spouses or domestic partners.

The Travel Clinic offers the latest travel recommendations provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as medications and vaccines needed for international travel.

Mary Fosse, program coordinator for Thielen Student Health Center, said she sees students who travel all over the world.

“I don’t have people that just go to Western European countries — I see people who go to South America, Africa and Russia,” Fosse said. “I have them going all over the world.”

The vaccines the travel center offers are divided into three categories: required, recommended and routine.

Depending on what area of the world the student is visiting, there could be as many as fifteen recommended vaccinations.

Hepatitis A and B, polio, rabies and meningitis vaccines are considered required. Vaccines for measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox and tetanus are considered routine.

Only a yellow fever vaccine is required for students and all other recommended vaccines are specific to the country the student is visiting, Fosse said.

Fosse suggested students make an appointment to find out the vaccinations recommended for the area they will be visiting.

“What I need to know from the student is where they are going, when they are leaving and what they will be doing while they are there, and also their personal health history,” Fosse said.

Every country in the world has a risk level ranging from one to three. The cost of the travel clinic service is based on the risk factors of the country the person is visiting.

“When you look at the level three countries, it will cost the student more because it will take us longer to counsel them and the person will generally need more immunization,” Fosse said.

The travel center recommends beginning these vaccines six to eight weeks prior to leaving the United States.

Before scheduling an appointment, students must fill out a travel form, which can be picked up at the appointments desk.

Erin Kirby, junior in marketing, plans to study abroad next semester and said the Travel Clinic was a useful resource in her planning.

“The travel center makes it easy for students like me who are studying abroad next semester to get the necessary vaccines and information that are needed,” Kirby said.

The travel center staff also counsels students on all areas related to international travel.

“We talk things such as stolen passports, road safety and purse-snatching,” Fosse said. “We make sure we talk about all general health and safety issues.”