Flu shots can help students stay healthy during flu season

Liz Duff

The closed working and living situations to which students are exposed — including classrooms and residence halls — may put students at a greater risk for contracting the flu.

Thielen Student Health Center is now offering flu shots for students. The shots are $10 and an appointment isn’t necessary, said Marc Shulman, chief of staff at Thielen Student Health Center.

Although the last three years have been relatively mild for flu outbreaks, Shulman said this year could be worse.

He urged students to take precautions and get flu vaccinations early.

October, November and December are ideal months to receive flu shots, Shulman said.

“It takes about six weeks to develop full immunity to the shot,” he said.

“It is important to get the shot as soon as possible to begin developing immunity.”

Shulman said flu shots can be up to 80 percent effective.

“The shot may not prevent every flu outbreak, but it may lessen the severity of outbreaks,” he said.

The flu season generally begins at the end of December, and runs through April or May, Shulman said. January and February tend to be peak months.

Without proper treatment for the flu, pneumonia can develop.

“For those who have such health problems as asthma or diabetes, the flu may be fatal if not treated properly,” Shulman said.

Shulman said a less painful alternative is available for those who are hesitant to receive a shot.

FluMist — an alternative flu vaccination administered by a doctor or nurse — is sprayed into the nose, he said.

The mist is available for healthy individuals between the ages of five and forty-nine. FluMist is more expensive than a flu shot, and isn’t covered by most insurance plans, Shulman said.

Nick Walters, junior in horticulture, said he has never had a flu shot, but would consider getting a shot rather than using FluMist.

“I don’t like sticking things up my nose,” Walters said. “I would rather have a shot, because it’s fast, cheap and accomplishes the same thing.”

Walters said he gets the flu about once a year, usually during December or January.

“Living in a fraternity didn’t help the cause,” he said.

“Whenever you are surrounded by many people for an extended period of time, you’re bound to come in contact with others that are ill.”

Mark Richards, pharmacist and owner of Richards Pharmacy in Des Moines, said flu vaccinations, which are identical to the ones used a year ago, help protect against the flu for a year.

It is possible to receive the shot and still contract a strain of the flu. However the incidences are lower, and there are prescription medications that can be taken once diagnosis of the flu has been given, he said.

Tamiflu capsules can be taken to quickly reduce flu symptoms, and reduce the severity of flu symptoms by 50 percent, Richards said.

Relenza is an inhaler that may be used within 24 hours of flu diagnosis, and also reduces severity by fifty percent, he said.

Shulman said to help prevent flu outbreaks, people should maintain a balanced diet, get plenty of rest, exercise regularly, wash their hands and avoid sharing beverages with others.

“Every time we see a patient, we encourage him or her to get a flu vaccination,” Shulman said.