Brrrrrn those calories this winter

Elizabeth Martin

Eating cookie dough and curling up in front of the television might sound like more fun than exercising during the cold winter months in Iowa, but it’s not necessarily the healthiest choice.

The biggest problem for students in the winter is lack of activity, said Judith Trumpy, registered and licensed dietitian from the Student Wellness Center at Thielen Student Health Center.

Activities offered through ISU Recreation Services include group classes, intramurals and personal training.

Group classes are a fitness option some students decide to take advantage of.

“It is at your own pace, and there is not the competition that you will find with some intramurals,” said Stephanie Eichler, program coordinator for recreation programs.

Classes include sunrise yoga, step, kickboxing, extreme abs, Pilates and aqua fitness.

“I think [exercise] is a stress relief,” Eichler said. “It is also a confidence builder.”

Students who want to stay in shape can also sign up for intramurals, which offer a more competitive environment. Upcoming intramurals include badminton, foosball, a 500 card tournament, five player basketball and ice hockey.

Another option is personal training, the only recreation service that costs students.

For single sessions, students are required to sign up for a minimum of six sessions, which costs a total of $84, or $14 per session. When using the buddy system, two people can sign up for sessions together. The buddy system also requires two people sign up for a minimum of six sessions, which costs a total of $126, or $21 per session.

“I think it is worth the cost,” Eichler said. “Personal training gives you something that magazines and group classes cannot. They give you one-on-one attention.”

Eichler said personal training gives attention to specific needs and the confidence to go into the weight room and “get down to business.”

Using ISU Recreation Services isn’t the only option when it comes to staying fit.

“Walking is the easiest thing to do,” Trumpy said.

She suggested taking the stairs instead of the elevator, getting off the bus a few stops early and walking the extra distance and doing chores in a dorm or apartment.

The Student Health Center offers consultation with a fitness specialist. Consultations are private, and include measurements of height and weight, flexibility, body composition, upper body and abdominal strength and endurance.