Second student drops out of race

Andrea Hanna

The race for the at-large seat for Ames City Council is again one person short.

Greg Velasquez, junior in elementary education, withdrew from the race at the beginning of the Ames City Council candidate forum Monday night, telling a crowd of more than 100 he is not the most qualified person for the job.

“I’m withdrawing because I believe that my opponent, Matthew Goodman, is actually better suited for the position than I am,” Velasquez said.

On Sunday, Casey Harvey, senior in finance, also withdrew from the at-large race, endorsing Goodman.

Velasquez said he entered the race to create a balance between students and permanent Ames residents but feels Goodman will serve students and Ames residents better.

“Iowa State students, along with the entire city of Ames, would be lucky to be represented by Goodman,” Velasquez said.

Velasquez said Goodman has a better grasp of the issues and has a more thorough vision for Ames.

The League of Women Voters of Ames and the Ames Chamber of Commerce sponsored the forum, which was held at City Hall and broadcast live on the public access channel. Kori Heuss, program coordinator for the Ames Chamber of Commerce, said this forum allowed the candidates to discuss a wide array of topics.

Steve Goodhue, running unopposed for the second ward, Matt Denner, Riad Mahayni, Joe Paulson and Joe Viles, running for fourth ward, and Goodman, Nathan Johnston, Mary Ann Lundy and Monte Parrish, running for the at-large position, discussed a variety of topics at the forum.

Providing affordable housing, attracting businesses and creating more jobs, as well as the Land Use Policy Plan, were among the issues discussed.

Goodman said it’s important to improve relations between students and Ames residents by making sure students are being heard and feeling they’re being heard.

“I think [the forums] are all a great opportunity for citizens not only to see who’s trying to represent them but also for the people who want to represent the city to see what the citizens think,” Velasquez said.

City Council elections will be held from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Nov. 4.