Making it on their own

Laura Ceretti

Instead of scouring the mall for steals and deals, some ISU students are staying in fashion by finding inspirations from current designs and creating what can’t be bought in any store.

Erica MacCrea, freshman in apparel merchandising, design and production, has been designing and creating her own clothing for several years. MacCrea says the process frees her from the constant battle to stay ahead of the trends.

“It’s a good feeling knowing that I go on campus and no one else has my original pieces,” Erica MacCrea. “It’s such a great way to be an individual.”

MacCrea says she comes from a background of seamstresses who taught her the ropes.

“Besides a home economic course, the main reason I learned how to sew is due to my mother and grandma always sewing while I was growing up,” she says.

MacCrea takes textiles and clothing classes and does alteration work for *Zushy, 2406 Lincoln Way, to learn more about designing and sewing.

“I’m still learning what my abilities are,” she says.

She likes to stick with dresses and shirts because they are fun and easy, she says.

There is no particular classification that describes MacCrea’s style of designs, she says. She admires the designs of evening and formal dresses by Jessica McClintock and often buys patterns of similar McClintock dresses at Wal-Mart.

She has made evening gowns worth $200 at a retail store for $100 worth of material, she says.

Since she began working at *Zushy, MacCrea has been asked to make clothes for other people.

“I was just recently asked by [ISU wide receiver] Lane Danielsen’s fianc‚ to redesign his football jersey into a tank top,” she says. “It is one of my favorite pieces I’ve created.”

Hope Okere, sophomore in apparel merchandising, design and production, also gets asked to design outfits for others. Okere is making a skirt for her roommate. She says the skirt should have only taken five hours to make, but has taken months.

“I really don’t have time unless I have a whole day to work on the design,” Okere says.

Okere currently makes purses and large bags for *Zushy, and might have clothing available for sale at the store by the end of the year. Okere says making clothes is an artistic outlet and way to express herself.

“I make my own clothes because it is hard to find anything I really like in Ames,” Okere says.

She says she has nothing against clothes sold in retail stores, but finds some a bit tacky.

The clothes Okere makes have an “urban feel,” and she says she doesn’t follow any trends because they are just that — passing trends.

Okere says her designs and creations are made on a whim, often inspired by works of art. Her favorite design she has made for herself is a blue skirt made out of upholstery fabric.

“If I have time, I usually find something in my closet that I want to change,” she says. “I also find articles of clothing at the Goodwill and revamp the style.”

Okere says making her own designs takes time, but expertise isn’t necessary.

“People say they don’t know how to sew, but I tell them I didn’t know how to either,” Okere says. “Anyone can do it. There are no rules or guidelines to follow.”