Judo unique in world of martial arts

Eric Wilson

Judo is different from other martial arts.

While many martial arts use a variety of direct striking methods, Judo closely resembles wrestling, where the emphasis is on controlling one’s movements and balance, instead of landing blows on an opponent.

“Once you throw a person in Judo, you win,” said club vice president Phillip Schmidt, sophomore in mathematics.

Winning can also be achieved by choking an opponent until they submit, pinning an opponent in a controlled manner for 25 seconds, or arm-barring. Arm-barring is bending an arm in a way it’s not supposed to bend.

“You slowly bend it until they submit,” Schmidt said. “It really hurts. If they don’t tap out, you can legally break their arm.”

But breaking an opponent’s arm is rare, he said.

“Everyone knows enough to submit when in that position,” Schmidt said.

Judo matches also follow a time limit. A match can run between three and five minutes, depending on the ages of the competitors, Schmidt said.

“Judo is a really unique sport that is generally unknown to the public,” said club president Jonathan Chu, sophomore in management information systems.

Judo developed from Jujitsu. Jujitsu’s techniques have been known for a long time, but the art wasn’t practiced or taught systematically until the latter half of the 16th century.

Shortly after developing Judo from Jujitsu, Jigoro Kano founded the Kodokan, or the “school to learn the way,” in Japan in 1882.

Kano developed Judo around three sets of techniques: throwing, groundwork and striking.

Ways of throwing an opponent are divided into standing and sacrifice techniques. Standing techniques use hand, hip and foot throws. Sacrifice techniques are throws that end with the thrower on the ground. In a side sacrifice, the thrower lands on his or her side and in a full sacrifice, the thrower lands on his or her back.

Holds, strangulations and joint locks are different components of groundwork. Ground holds are taught earlier to students, while strangulation and joint lock moves are taught to older students.

“You have to be six to start Judo — you can learn to choke at 12 and arm-bar at 16,” Schmidt said. “Otherwise, you just wrestle and throw.”

Striking techniques include upper and lower limb blows. Some of the striking techniques use fists, elbows, hand-edges, knees, fingers and feet as striking points.

The form of Judo that is practiced by the ISU Judo Club does not involve striking techniques, Schmidt said.

Judo became a sport as it spread throughout the Western world. Its popularity and inclusion in the 1964 Olympic Games led to an emphasis on the physical and competitive aspects of the art, Schmidt said.

“Virtually every single country has a Judo team or people that do Judo,” Schmidt said.

The ISU club will travel to Nebraska for a judo tournament this weekend.