Candidates face off for at-large seat

Ayrel Clark

Candidates for the at-large seat of the Ames City Council sounded off about issues ranging from a new mall to the ordinance banning drink buffets Sunday at the Memorial Union.

Approximately 40 people attended the debate, put on by the ISU Lectures program. The six candidates, Matthew Goodman, Mary Ann Lundy, Monte Parrish and ISU students Casey Harvey, Nathan Johnston and Greg Velasquez fielded questions from the audience.

Candidates stated their opinions on economic development in Ames, but were asked by Dave Harvey to specify their opinions regarding the need for a new mall.

“I would never use ‘need’ for anything that involves the Gap,” said Goodman, 3303 West St.

Goodman said he would have supported the mall last Friday, but after reading about plans to have it include block retail stores such as a Super Wal-Mart, he would not support it.

Casey Harvey, senior in finance, said a new mall would leave buildings on streets such as Duff Avenue vacant, similar to what happened in Iowa City.

“I don’t believe Ames can withstand another mall,” Harvey said.

Parrish, 1511 Stone Brooke Rd., brought up the concern about the developer’s need for Ames, not just Ames’ need for a new mall.

“If Ames is a prime location for a mall, we ought to consider this situation very carefully and not just take the first opportunity that comes down the road,” Parrish said.

Johnston, junior in finance and ex officio student member of the Ames City Council, said he does not think this is the kind of growth Ames is trying to support.

Johnston said he would like to see the benefits of renovating North Grand Mall so the city can use resources it already has in place.

Parrish said the worst thing that could happen would be the combination of North Grand Mall opting not to renovate and a new mall not being built.

A new mall would have the benefit of bringing industry east of I-35, at the developer’s expense, Parrish said.

“Growth is probably the biggest issue [for the city],” he said.

In her opening statement, Lundy, 4316 Phoenix St, said she wants the city to focus on biotechnology growth.

Lundy left after opening statements to take her granddaughter to see “The Sound of Music.”

Harvey said it is important for Ames to attract businesses to Ames that are large-salary employers, not just retail stores. He specifically mentioned biotechnology firms, which he said increase average salaries and cause students to stay and live in Ames.

Concerns over how industries like biotech firms will fit into the Ames community were raised by Johnston.

Although biotechnology could bring students and the community together, The Land Use Policy Plan is not currently conducive to biotechnology plans, he said. Although research is good for the advancement of companies, the land use plan does not have designated areas for the creation of products.

Budget cuts also strain the biotechnology concept, Johnston added. “It’s going to be extremely hard to channel this growth and really plan for it when we have such restrictions upon us.”

Goodman said the reason he is running is due to a lack of communication between students and the city, which creates problems.

“I feel the city of Ames could benefit from nothing more than a person who could fully bridge [students and the city] together,” he said.

Velasquez, junior in elementary education, said the City Council failed in representing the entire city of Ames.

“Right now the council doesn’t respect and often times isn’t even aware of student interests,” he said. “Students are not a priority.”

Ordinances, such as the ban on drink specials, are not addressing the issues, Johnston said.

The drink specials ban is not preventing people from being assaulted in a “dangerous environment” outside bars, he said.

Lundy said she is happy students are running and wants the city to improve relations with them.

“I know students can be very helpful, and they are learning; they are energetic.”