Mayor urges students to have a voice in government

Ayrel Clark

If an ISU student revolution ever takes place, Ames Mayor Ted Tedesco said he’ll be on the students’ side.

“There’s more of you, and you’re younger and stronger,” Tesdesco told about 20 members of the Political Science Club Tuesday.

Tedesco spoke to the students in Ross Hall about his job as mayor and issues facing the city that relate to students.

The main problem between the city and students is communication, Tedesco said. For example, communication was a missing element in the issue of over-occupancy enforcement.

“The adults and residents need to open up to communication,” Tedesco said.

In response to the overoccupancy conflict, Tedesco proposed a 10-point plan, which, among other things, would have allowed one person per bedroom in a house with a maximum of four people.

“Those neighborhood people could never get beyond the number three,” he said.

Drew Miller, senior in computer science, asked Tedesco about the possibility of further restrictions by the city on drinking specials.

Tedesco said he thinks men should be upset about ladies’ night specials, but said the city cannot ban all bar specials.

“We cannot provide an ordinance that is going to cover the ingenuity of all the bar owners,” he said.

Jenifer O’Neal, senior in political science and president of the Political Science Club, said she is pleased to know local government officials are interested in what students think.

“It’s good to know he does care about our issues,” O’Neal said. “I think he’s a very good representative for our community.”

Tedesco said he believes it would be good for the community to have a student on the City Council, but said it will not happen if the students do not vote.

“The real problem that exists, quite honestly, is students have not voted in local elections,” Tedesco said.

“You need to get the students to register [to vote] and show their power.”

O’Neal said she is torn about registering in Ames to vote in the Nov. 4 election because she would like to vote for the mayoral race in her hometown of Des Moines.

The deadline for registering in Ames to vote in the citywide election is Oct. 23.