Old movies formulate new chances for advertising class

Luke Rolfes

People between the ages of 18 and 24 are significantly less inclined to watch movies that were created before they were born.

This dilemma has Turner Classic Movies searching for a fresh outlook in public relations and advertising to make young people start watching the classic films of previous generations.

Their search has led them to Jay Newell’s Advertising 434 class, an advanced level advertising class at Iowa State.

“It’s kind of like an electronic internship,” says Newell, assistant professor of journalism and mass communication.

Through negotiations with Newell, Turner Classic Movies is working with senior level students in a unique collaborative project.

“Students gather in groups of six and create an elaborate advertising and public relations plan to present to a real client,” Newell says.

“It is an opportunity for students to work together using everything they have learned in their college career.”

Brady Hurt, senior in art and design who is enrolled in the class, says the project helps ease the transition into the business world.

“I like the fact that it integrates you into the advertising world, without tossing you straight in,” Hurt says.

“It lets you get a feel for advertising and what clients want from you.”

Every week, the students gather in the ICN room of the Scheman building and electronically meet with an executive from Turner Classic Movies. A sharply dressed woman appears on several television screens and, with a practiced business smile, explains policies and imperatives of the company.

The students, clad in a variety of sweat pants, warm-ups and jeans, listen to the voice and face on the television as if she were standing in front of them. They scribble notes because the presented information will be vital to the creation of their group projects.

Their projects will provide Turner Classic Movies with a fresh perspective on how they can increase the number of youthful viewers, Newell says.

The project the students must complete requires much time and effort, Newell says. The task of increasing youthful viewing of classic movies is no small challenge.

“It is a very difficult project,” Newell says. The stuff they are doing is not easy — especially since people typically will only watch the films that they saw in theaters.”

Despite the challenge of the class, students have had a positive response. Zachary Keller, senior in journalism and mass communication, says he enjoys this real world project-oriented experience.

“The class is very focused,” Keller says.

“Here we have one particular goal that we are trying to achieve. Since this is a project-based class, it requires more work, but it is more interesting.”

Another benefit of the Turner Classic Movies program is that it allows students to work in an emulated internship experience, without the pressure of finding employment.

“I think it gives us as good of a scenario as we can ask for in college, without actually having gotten hired,” Hurt says.

Newell says he feels excited and fortunate for the exclusive opportunity granted to his students.

“Nobody is doing anything like this,” Newell says.

“No other schools get to work with a national client on an ongoing weekly basis. You get to talk with decision makers who are a thousand miles away, who tell you something that is only told behind closed doors.”