Conference gives students insight into world of business

Katie Melson

ISU students will have their business cards ready as they meet with Iowa’s entrepreneur community at the fourth annual Iowa Venture Capital Conference in Des Moines Tuesday.

ISU students will get the chance to market themselves at the conference and apply what they have learned at Iowa State to the business community and business experts from the entrepreneur world.

“It’s a great opportunity to network with the players in the venture capital arena,” said Kanan Kappelman, marketing manager of the Iowa Department of Economic Development.

Some of the things covered at the conference will be how to start a business, what types of resources are available to small business owners and how companies pitch ideas to investors, Kappelman said.

Judi Eyles, adviser for the ISU Entrepreneur Club and program coordinator for the ISU Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship, said the morning will begin with a panel discussion. The speakers in the discussion will include Gov. Tom Vilsack, who will be speaking about entrepreneurs in the state. The keynote speaker, Jerre Stead, retired chairman and chief executive officer of Ingram Micro Inc., will speak about his experiences in the business world.

ISU students will also sit through an official presentation where a business will pitch ideas to a potential investor, Eyles said.

“[Students] will get to hear from a number of people who have started companies,” Eyles said.

The program, which is free, is a learning opportunity that exposes students to speakers from the business community and allows them to attend workshops about starting a company, Eyles said.

Kappelman said the conference will feature “breakout” sessions in the afternoon. These sessions will focus on how to start companies and how to get financial help for companies, and more information about Venture Capital will be distributed.

Exhibitors and sponsors will have booths showcasing what types of resources they provide an entrepreneur, Kappelman said.

The ISU Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship will provide free registration, transportation and lunch to students who attend the Iowa Venture Capital Conference.

The event is sponsored by the Iowa Department of Economic Development, John Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Center and Equity Dynamics.