Littrell is first woman to get White award

Cari Laures

After 23 years of existence, an award established to honor a female faculty member was given to a woman for the first time.

Mary Littrell, professor of textiles and clothing, was honored Monday with the Margaret Ellen White Graduate Faculty Award. The award was created in 1985 by Margaret Ellen White, who graduated from Iowa State’s College of Home Economics and was the administrative assistant for the Graduate College for 37 years, according to the award information Web site, www.grad-college.iastate.edu/gss/MEW. Since 1985, the recipients of the award have been male faculty members.

Susan Strawn, graduate in textiles and clothing, nominated Littrell for the Margaret Ellen White Graduate Faculty Award.

Strawn was unavailable for comment.

Littrell also received a Distinguished Professor Award at the University Convocation ceremony Monday.

“It was extremely special to have my work as a professor, a researcher and a mentor be recognized at the same time,” she said. “What more could you ask for?”

Littrell currently instructs three classes and is planning a Guatemalan Study tour for the spring semester.

She is also continuing her extensive research with the Market Place Handiwork of India in Mumbai, India.

“We look at the advantages artisans gain when they are working for themselves and not in sweatshops.”

Ann Thye, academic adviser in textiles and clothing, said Littrell’s impact goes beyond Iowa State.

“I just came to Iowa State this fall, but I knew of Dr. Littrell through her research of fair trade and her book, ‘Social responsibility in the global market: Fair trade of cultural products,'” Thye said.

Littrell’s students enjoy her classes, Thye said.

“They are always singing her praises,” she said. “She is such a wonderful instructor and person.”