Arab news reporter to discuss Mideast

Katie Melson

A founder of controversial Arab news network Al Jazeera will speak at Iowa State to discuss the network and the Arab world.

“I feel a deep-rooted misunderstanding of my network, which I hope to clarify,” said Omar al-Issawi, who is a reporter and producer for Al Jazeera.

Al-Issawi will speak at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union about his experiences with and possible misconceptions of the network.

While visiting Iowa State as part of a nationwide campus tour, al-Issawi will focus on media and the “real story” of Al Jazeera, an explanation of his Islamic upbringing, state affairs in the Arab world and Middle Eastern politics.

“I would like to do my share in raising awareness of international issues and opening further lines of communication,” al Issawi said. “But I believe it is especially important to come to the heartland of America, which is quite a distance from the centers of power, money and glamour and yet is still home to an important and vibrant segment of the American people.”

Gary Tartakov, professor of art and design, said it is important students take advantage of listening to al-Issawi because Al Jazeera is the best-known network agency in the Arab world.

“[Al Jazeera] is the equivalent to CBS of the Arabic world,” he said.

Tartakov said it is “dangerous” and a “mistake” for Americans to be closed off to other country’s opinions.

Al-Issawi said he realizes some Americans may not see Al Jazeera as an objective news outlet.

“As a journalist I am not in the business of passing judgment, but rather the reporting of news and facts,” al-Issawi said. “I come with an open mind to tell [students] about my world and the effects events and policies, including American ones.”

For al-Issawi, expectations for his campus visits are high.

“I came with positive feelings and I expect to leave with even more positive ones,” he said. “The American people continue to reaffirm my belief in their decency, hospitality and kindness.”

“It is important for us all to hear about the realities of each other’s cultures so that we can understand each other better.”

After the presentation and lecture, there will be a question-and-answer session followed by a reception.

The reception will allow students to ask more questions and talk with al Issawi one-on-one, said Pat Miller, director of the Committee on Lectures.

Al-Issawi’s visit kicks off Iowa State’s Institute of World Affairs lecture series, “Outside Looking In: International Perspectives on U.S. Foreign Policy.”