Web site helps students recognize depression

Morgan Mcchurch

A family has created a Web site to help students recognize signs of depression, substance abuse and high-risk suicide attempts.

The Web site, www.ulifeline.org, was created by the Jed Foundation, www.jedfoundation.com, in memory of Jed Satow, who hanged himself in 1998 while a sophomore at the University of Arizona.

The Web site tailors the look of the site to work with each specific university’s needs and available resources. Phil Satow, Jed’s father, president and co-founder of the Jed Foundation, said he feels it is important for each school to have adequate services for its students. However, he said he believes there is a strong stigma around going to a counselor, especially in college.

“Lots of students know so much about safe sex and STD prevention,” Satow said. “But very few know any of the signs of depression.”

Kedrin Moser, junior in psychology, said she understood the stigma surrounding depression and suicide. “Mental illness is almost as stigmatized as HIV and AIDS,” Moser said.

She said one major reason people cannot get the help they need is the cost of the drugs used to help stabilize mood. Zoloft, a drug used to help prevent or reduce depression, costs roughly $150 for a two week supply, Moser said. A three week supply of anti-psychotic drugs cost about $250, she said.

“Depression and suicide are often overlooked as a phase that most teens go through,” Moser said. “It can end up being a fatal illness.”

Satow said it is important for students to have a way to find out if a friend may be in trouble.

“It’s really important that students look out for other students,” said Moser. “Ulifeline.org is a 24-hour resource to check for signs in friends who might be in trouble. Students have to be willing to help get their friends help.”

Satow said the Jed Foundation was initially funded by the family and close friends. It is now dependent on donations from the public and corporations, he said. The Jed Foundation Web site was created primarily for the general public, while Ulifeline.org was created for use in conjunction with colleges and universities, he said.

Satow said the Jed Foundation is still assisted by some of Jed’s friends, as well as corporate sponsorship. He said one of the key people in the organization is the former president of Jed’s fraternity. Satow said the foundation has also received wonderful pro bono help from Grey Health in New York.

The item Satow said he felt was very useful to parents and students is a checklist found at www.jedfoundation.com/parents.php. The checklist points out questions every student should ask before choosing a college to attend, he said.

Satow said he feels the best thing for to come out of the development of the Web site is the numerous letters about how helpful Ulifeline.org is from students and health care providers.