Presidents address athletics, tuition

Kate Lewellen

Topics ranged from the role of athletics in universities to the effects of tuition increases when ISU President Geoffroy was joined by Iowa President David Skorton Tuesday on the daily WOI-AM radio program, “Talk of Iowa.”

The presidents discussed the role of their respective athletic programs in the university after Iowans called into the show expressing interest in the topic.

One caller said he believes athletics are over-emphasized at the universities.

“Athletics does have a part in higher education,” Skorton said. “While the main focus of the university is on education, athletics help friends and alumni of the university connect with us. Athletics does have a role, if it is managed well.”

Geoffroy agreed.

“It is not difficult to keep the program within bounds,” he said. “I believe that at Iowa State, we have a very good program that is operated with high integrity.”

Geoffroy expressed concern that tuition increases have affected enrollment at Iowa State.

“Although this is the third year in a row that our enrollment has exceeded 27 thousand students, our enrollment is still down from last year by about 750 undergraduate students,” Geoffroy said. “This is for a variety of reasons, but I fear that the large tuition increases are becoming more and more of a factor in enrollment.”

Skorton echoed Geoffroy’s concerns.

“It is very evident that the level of tuition impacts enrollment at all the state universities,” Skorton said.

Skorton said University of Iowa enrollment is about the same this year as last year, but he shared Geoffroy’s concerns that tuition increases will begin to deter more students.

“Students tell us tuition increases are changing their approach [to the college experience],” Skorton said. “This is a concern.”

Geoffroy said a decline in taxpayer support for the regent universities has been partially compensated by tuition increases.

He said another reason for the increases is the very high cost of renewing and replacing technology to ensure students are getting a proper, modern education.

Skorton agreed the factor’s listed by Geoffroy had caused regent universities to raise tuition more than they had wanted.

Geoffroy said he has appointed a task force to address tuition issues. He said the task force will try to find solutions or alternatives to the tuition increases.

Geoffroy said the task force will discuss options such as differential tuition, meaning students would pay their tuition according to their major or class standing. For example, Geoffroy said, students who have earned fewer than 60 credit hours might pay a lesser fee than students who have earned more than 60 credit hours.

Skorton agreed tuition increases have called for a change in policies.

“We are facing a new fiscal reality, which calls for a different way of doing business,” he said.