Dairy farm auction money to reduce debt

Xiomara Levsen

The numbers are in from Saturday’s dairy farm auction.

“The total gross of the sale was 134,050 dollars,” said Daniel Morrical, professor of animal science. “The average price for the cattle was around $1,190 dollars, and we sold 113 cattle.”

The money from the auction will be going towards the debt of the current farm, estimated at about $180,000, said Douglas Kenealy, university professor of animal science .

Morrical estimated 250 to 300 people attended and almost 100 people signed up for bid numbers.

All the breeds sold pretty much the same, he said.

Cattle were sold into 10 different states, Kenealy said.

“There was quite a nice representation at our sale,” he said.

For students who worked at the dairy farm, jobs are now a focus of concern.

Some student jobs will be transferred to the Ankeny farm but most students have decided not to work at the Ankeny farm, Kenealy said.

“Traveling 20 miles to work would be hard on the students,” he said.

Right now there is no plan to sell the land on which the farm sat.

“To the best of the College of Agriculture’s knowledge the university has no plan to sell the land,” Kenealy said.

Despite the closing of the farm, operations classes will still be taught there for the next two to three years.

“We will still be using the dairy pavilion to teach our students,” Kenealy said.

“Cattle will be brought in from the Ankeny farm and more in depth classes will happen at the Ankeny farm.”

Rachel Stammeyer, senior in dairy science, attended the auction Saturday. Stammeyer had also worked at the dairy farm.

Stammeyer said the auction went better than expected. She estimated 10 or more people came from her home county alone.

Stammeyer bought a one month old milking shorthorn calf at the auction. “She was well worth the price,” she said.

Stammeyer will continue working for the farm when she can help with cleanup.

The farm will no longer house any animals after all of the cows from the auction are picked up from their buyers, Kenealy said.