Step in time

Liz Duff

Trekking across campus may be the only exercise many students have time for, and local experts say the use of pedometers can help maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Pedometers count a person’s steps taken, distance in miles and calories burned.

Marc Shulman, chief of staff at Thielen Student Health Center, recommended the use of pedometers for students.

“The American College of Sports Medicine recommends that people take 10,000 steps a day,” Shulman said. “While the average worker takes about 5,000 steps a day, it may take four to six miles of walking to reach 10,000.”

Shulman offered advice to increase steps taken per day.

“Students should pick parking spots farther away and walk around and browse aisles while in stores to achieve more steps,” he said.

Students take approximately 5,000 to 6,000 steps daily, Shulman estimated. Those who want to lose weight should take 12,000 steps or more each day.

Abby Evans, junior in architecture, uses a pedometer almost every day.

“I really enjoy using a pedometer — being able to calculate the amount of steps I take each day helps me to achieve my goals,” Evans said.

Deb Atkinson, lecturer of health and human performance, said most people want to see how many steps they take in a day.

“It’s a great motivator, and people have a great time with it,” Atkinson said.

More people use pedometers to maintain interest and motivation in physical activity, said Greg Welk, assistant professor in health and human performance.

He said pedometers are used in research settings to either promote activity behavior or measure levels of activity in participants.

“Tracking steps with a pedometer is an effective way to monitor overall activity levels,” Welk said. “If you are a bit short of your goal, you can try to get out for an additional walk to make sure you get enough activity.”

Welk said most pedometers are highly accurate when it comes to counting steps, but vary in quality.

The more accurate pedometers range from $25 to $30.