One man out

Ayrel Clark

The unprecedented number of students running for a seat on the Ames City Council is now minus one.

Casey Harvey, senior in finance, announced Sunday he will drop out of the race for the at-large seat of the City Council and will endorse candidate Matthew Goodman, 3303 West St. Harvey’s announcement reduces the number of ISU students running from four to three.

Harvey said he chose to endorse Goodman because “they stand for the same things.”

“[In Goodman, I] saw someone who would get the job done and get student initiatives passed,” Harvey said.

Harvey said he did not choose to endorse another student because he said he doesn’t think the council needs a student to address student issues.

“Goodman has a stronger grasp on the issues [than the students],” he said.

Goodman said he was surprised by the endorsement.

“I really appreciate him [endorsing me], not just for me but for the goal of getting someone nontraditional on the council,” Goodman said.

Goodman said he is a good representative because he understands students and residents.

Monte Parrish, 1511 Stone Brooke Rd., candidate for the at-large seat, said he noticed Goodman and Harvey had similar views on the issues.

Parrish said he was not completely shocked by the action.

“I’m not a politician by nature, and I don’t think Casey was, either,” he said. “I sensed, at times, that it wasn’t his cup of tea.”

Councilwoman Judie Hoffman, who currently holds the at-large seat on the council, also was not surprised by Harvey’s decision to drop out.

“It doesn’t surprise me too much that a student would drop out because it takes a great deal of time to campaign,” she said. “Running a campaign is a very difficult thing.”

It is good Harvey announced his intentions early enough for people to change their vote, Hoffman said.

Even with one fewer candidate, Hoffman said she expects the election to lead to a runoff. It takes 50 percent of the vote to win the election, which will be very difficult for one candidate to receive with five people still running, she said.

Harvey said he is also expecting a runoff, but thought Goodman has a good chance of winning.

“He really comes off as a good candidate for everyone,” Harvey said. “I would really like to see him as our next City Council member.”