The big 75

Sarah Kloewer

Leave the dress clothes at home — formal dinners are no longer how the Memorial Union will celebrate its anniversary.

The MU turns 75 on Sept. 23 and the party is getting started several days early. Instead of hosting formal gatherings, the MU is hosting barbecues and dances on Friday and Saturday nights.

“In the past, [the anniversary celebration] has just been a formal dinner with a speech,” says Kathy Svec, program coordinator for the Memorial Union. “[This year] brings a distinct departure from the pattern of celebrations in the past.”

The 75th anniversary celebrations have been in the planning stages for about 10 months.

“We’re very excited it’s finally time,” Svec says.

“One of the unique things about the MU here at Iowa State is it was formed as a private non-profit organization.”

The ISU student body started to lobby for a student center in the early 1920s, but there was no funding available, Svec says. In order to facilitate the funding, students started a non-profit organization. They also pledged their own money to put their plan into action.

“These students were so dedicated to the project, each pledged $100 toward the project, the equivalent of $2,000 today,” Svec says. “Those students were so committed to this idea.”

As a result, the MU came into existence as an organization before it was a building. In the past, people celebrated anniversaries for both years — 1922 when the organization was founded and 1928 when the building was built. The upcoming events commemorate 1928.

Svec says the planning committee wanted a big celebration and party for the building’s big birthday.

“We decided we didn’t want a formal dinner — we wanted a variety of events, the kind of things that appeal to students,” Svec says. “We really wanted the events to be more student-oriented this time.”

Friday night brings free food to the terrace and north lawn of the MU. The Block and Bridle Club are helping to sponsor a barbecue. Leslie Mason, senior in animal science and president of the block and bridle club, says 10 members will be running the club’s grill.

Forty to 60 members of the ISU marching band will perform for 15 minutes at 4 p.m. Friday, The celebration will continue on Saturday night with dancing.

Dance lessons are being offered from 8—9 p.m. Alma Hoffman, lecturer in art and design and Tyson Hoffman, graduate student in physics and astronomy, will be teaching ballroom dancing in the Great Hall.

In keeping with Hispanic Heritage Month, Roy Salcedo, program assistant for the honors program, will be teaching meringue in the Sun Room.

“We’re excited about incorporating Hispanic Heritage month into this event,” Svec says.

Free Style, a five-member band from Des Moines, will perform in the Great Hall from 9 a.m.—midnight. “In keeping with the anniversary, they will be playing music through the decades,” Svec says. “They are a great band for getting people up and dancing.”

The South Ballroom and Sun Room will feature Latin and hip hop music provided by DJ Freaky Falco of Ames until 1 a.m.

The MU’s 75th anniversary is designed for students because they are a major reason it is in existence, Svec says.

“The Union isn’t sitting here because someone in administration thought it was a good idea,” Svec says.

“It’s because of the force of the will of students.”