Editorial: Take classes outside your major

Luke McDonell/Iowa State Daily

Students practice sign language in their ASL class on October 31st. 

For many higher education students, they are expected to follow a four-year plan. Many colleges even have prerequisite courses that focus on making sure students understand the required classes of the major and minors.

While beneficial and allows for students to feel comfortable in what may lay head, it inhibits the ability of students to broaden their educational horizons. It should not be frowned up for engineering majors to take creativity-focused/non-math-related classes, just as liberal arts majors should enroll into science-related classes.

As registration for the summer and fall semesters approaches, the ISD Editorial Board encourages students of all colleges and majors to take a course not for the sake of their degree, but rather for their curiosity and intellectual growth.

In today’s age, most people are set in their own ways and have a lagging understanding of what it means to see a viewpoint from another’s perspectives. This growing dichotomy prevents people from ever seeking out viewpoints different from their own, or truly understanding that you can listen to another person’s ideologies without having to give up on your own.

While there are obvious counterpoints to taking non-major related electives, such as stalling graduation or having to invest more financially. For students barely able to attend college with the rising costs of tuition, it is understandable while many make it their goal to get a degree and get out. Additionally, the stress of a class unrelated to your major may feel unnecessary or burdensome.

However, if you have the opportunity to fit electives into your four-year, five-year of perhaps six-year plan, try and do so. If not, take advantage of the fact that Iowa State requires each student to take diversity-related courses as an opportunity to learn more about an experience, identity or perspective separate from your own.

But also take classes because you want to. We are fortunate to go to a university that has this level of flexibility.

Not sure what classes to try? We have a few examples:

• THTRE 106 (Introduction to the Performing Arts)
  • KIN 153 (Ice Skating)
  • HSPM 383 (Introduction to Wine, Beer and Spirits)
  • AF AM 201 (Introduction to African American Studies)
  • WGS 201 (Introduction to Women’s Studies)

College is the time to try new things. Explore new countries and new classes. Broaden your horizons, Cyclones!